Santa Clara County cracks down on hospitals falling behind on COVID-19 testing

Original post made on Sep 16, 2020

Santa Clara County announced Wednesday a new public health order forcing local health care providers to provide quick and easy access to COVID-19 testing, following widespread complaints that residents have been wrongly denied tests.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, September 16, 2020, 2:12 PM

14 people like this
Posted by Concerned about PAMD
on Sep 16, 2020 at 3:30 pm

Concerned about PAMD is a registered user.

My dad recently had outpatient surgery at the SurgeCenter at PAMF, Palo Alto. I asked his nurse how often they test their STAFF. She said they don't.

10 people like this
Posted by Online Name
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Sep 17, 2020 at 2:19 am

Online Name is a registered user.

PAMF didn't even start having staff wear until April 4th when they sent out a newsletter announcing that. I remember that date well because of the horrendous conditions my partner and I saw during our appointments in mid-March and tried in vain to report then.

Thank you, Joe Simitian. Wish we'd thought to contact you directly to report the abuses at PAMF in mid-March. That might have saved much of the frustrations discussed here in Town Square then.

8 people like this
Posted by Acoustic instruments can speed up testing.
on Sep 17, 2020 at 10:35 am

Acoustic instruments can speed up testing. is a registered user.

From the NY Times yesterday... NYC hospitals are testing 40,000-60,000 people per day using a test that uses the Echo (acoustic technology) to eliminate the laborious, time consuming task of pipetting.

This instrument was created locally in Silicon Valley. Does Stanford have one? If so, could it be used for this purpose?

4 people like this
Posted by More accuracy
a resident of Portola Valley
on Sep 17, 2020 at 12:31 pm

More accuracy is a registered user.

"About 40% of people with COVID-19 may not show any symptoms at all, she said, making it more important for tests to be easily accessible and widely available."

Does this statement infer daily or very frequent constant testing of asymptomatic people? Will testing of everyone in a school be performed every 3 days, or the average time for onset of symptoms, if any?

2 people like this
Posted by TimR
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 17, 2020 at 1:47 pm

TimR is a registered user.

I went to the "roving" Flugent site a few weeks ago, and they have 50 testing slots for every 15 minutes of appointment blocks. That comes to 200 tests an hour. And yet, when I was there for my appointment, I was the only one getting a test, and I saw one person leaving and one person entering behind me. There is PLENTY of testing capacity, and Dr. Cody must know that. She needs to stop beating around the bush and blaming the medical community for what is clearly a lack of desire from citizens to be tested. Instead of complaining all the time, she needs to do some PSA's and the like, and try to get people into the sites that already exist, and have plenty of staff sitting around doing nothing but waiting to test people.

15 people like this
Posted by Concerned about PAMF
on Sep 18, 2020 at 3:47 pm

Concerned about PAMF is a registered user.

TimR - Our whole family are PAMF patients, have been for years. Why can't I go to PAMF to get a test? Now I believe you need to be exposed, showing symptoms or getting a procedure in the SurgeCenter to get tested. Why is PAMF not testing their staff?

4 people like this
Posted by TimR
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 18, 2020 at 5:52 pm

TimR is a registered user.

Concerned about PAMF, I don't know. But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have testing available all over the place, at hundreds of different sites. At least not right now with the nasal swab test (with the quicker tests it'll be different). It's just too inefficient and would waste a lot of resources right now. And what's wrong with going to one of the places that already do tests with no questions asked? Is it that difficult that you need exactly what you want, instead of what's being offered around the county?

8 people like this
Posted by Concerned about PAMF
on Sep 21, 2020 at 1:59 pm

Concerned about PAMF is a registered user.

@TimR, I think its reasonable to expect my health care provider to provide the health care I need. In this case, I'm a PAMF patient, I would expect to provide me with any testing or health care that I need, unless it is something they are not equipped to do. As an example, since I was going to be caring for my dad after his surgery, I wanted to be tested the same day he was, PAMF refused.

In order to encourage respectful and thoughtful discussion, commenting on stories is available to those who are registered users. If you are already a registered user and the commenting form is not below, you need to log in. If you are not registered, you can do so here.

Please make sure your comments are truthful, on-topic and do not disrespect another poster. Don't be snarky or belittling. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

See our announcement about requiring registration for commenting.

Get the most important local news stories sent straight to your inbox daily.

How to Buy a Used EV
By Sherry Listgarten | 6 comments | 3,189 views

Gates sets an example for local billionaires to emulate
By Diana Diamond | 5 comments | 1,730 views

Pie Brings People Together

Couples and Premarital: Personal Weather Report (TM)

Tree Lighting Ceremonies
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 855 views

Palo Alto Weekly Holiday Fund

For the last 26 years, the Palo Alto Weekly Holiday Fund has given away more than $7 million to local nonprofits serving children and families. When you make a donation, every dollar is automatically doubled, and 100% of the funds go directly to local programs. It’s a great way to ensure your charitable donations are working at home.

DONATE HERE