Former district principal, parent Matt Nagle is running for school board

Original post made on Aug 14, 2020

Matt Nagle, a former Juana Briones Elementary School principal, longtime educator and district parent, is making a bid for a seat on the Palo Alto school board in the November election.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, August 14, 2020, 1:53 PM

Posted by Samuel L.
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Aug 14, 2020 at 4:50 pm

Samuel L. is a registered user.

If Nagle is elected, wouldn't his wife, a teacher at Escondido, need to leave the district? If I'm not mistaken, spouses of board members are unable to work for the district. I believe Dharap's wife was going to get a job with the district, but in the board meeting, the board said that it was not allowed.

Posted by Josie S.
on Aug 15, 2020 at 5:21 am

Josie S. is a registered user.

Matt Nagle for school board.....are you kidding me!! As a Special Education teacher who worked under him at Briones, he didn't seem to be very passionate about any students, especially not my students...what has happened to Palo Alto Unified...it's a sad state of affairs for sure...

Posted by Facts and Figures
on Aug 15, 2020 at 8:57 am

Facts and Figures is a registered user.

We need a candidate who has been committed to PAUSD by putting 100% of their kids in our K-12 programs.

With all due respect, Mr. Nagle seems to have run for office in two other communities and now he has come back here.

Let's get parents on the Board who have shown their 100% commitment to this District by making it work for ALL their kids and are in the District now.

We have ZERO sitting Board members who fit this description.

Posted by Resident
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Aug 15, 2020 at 9:46 am

Resident is a registered user.

On Nagle, you can read his departure from Briones here in the Weekly Web Link . He was a Skelly principal hire, and like several others (Winston, McEvoy, Diorio, I can't even remember all the ones from Jordan), did not do well or stay long.

On Facts & Figures point - having experience with the schools is helpful for school board, no doubt. I believe that all five current board members either sent multiple kids to PAUSD or attended it themselves (I count about 12 between them, plus or minus a couple). By contrast, at Ravenswood, none of the five board members have either attended or sent any students to their schools - that might be more of a problem.

Posted by Roy M
a resident of Downtown North
on Aug 15, 2020 at 10:09 am

Roy M is a registered user.

It is much better to have current or recent experience in the district. I am ok with school board members who may have one kid in the district and one out of the district as it only takes one kid in the district to be aware of the parent perspective. In fact, I would hope that having a kid at a private school might expose the person to other methods that may or may not be applicable to the district. If you are really concerned about a candidate sending a kid to a private school, ask the candidate why and what should be different about the district that would change that decision.

Posted by Facts and Figures
on Aug 15, 2020 at 1:51 pm

Facts and Figures is a registered user.

@Resident,

Sorry, but that's a stretch.

Anyone who has been out of the district 5 years or more is out of date.

And, now anyone who has not had all theirs kid attend in the Pandemic should not run. Not even a sitting board member.

Posted by Barron Park dad
on Aug 15, 2020 at 4:00 pm

Barron Park dad is a registered user.

I would like to see a candidate for the Board who is committed to improving the PAUSD academic outcomes for -all- students in the district, not only minority and low-income students. It is "both/and". It is not "only" as this candidate seems to be saying will be his sole focus.

He said "I'm really seeking to improve the academic outcomes of Latino, Black and low-income students."

Posted by Palo Alto retired teacher
on Aug 15, 2020 at 6:26 pm

Palo Alto retired teacher is a registered user.

[Post removed.]

Posted by former Briones parent
on Aug 15, 2020 at 10:37 pm

former Briones parent is a registered user.

My son and daughter went to Briones during Nagle's tenure at Briones. Three comments:
1) what kind of principal uses a bull horn to yell at the children to stop running around on the grass yard during recess? Aren't kids suppose to get exercise during recess? They always did before and after Nagle. Also, aren't bull horns reserved for the police to yell at criminals. That was my first observation of Matt Nagle, a principal acting like a cop yelling at criminals to stop what they were doing.
[Portion removed.]
3) Most parents and teachers did not like his approach to running the school. The two prior principals were decent and understanding people. Matt Nagle was neither. [Portion removed.]

Posted by former Biroines parent
on Aug 16, 2020 at 7:53 pm

former Biroines parent is a registered user.

Not surprising that Nagle got jobs after leaving PAUSD, when comments like mine posted above get deleted by authorities. When personal experiences and examples of interacting with him are not allowed to be told, people are not hearing the whole story when considering to vote for him for school board. A candidate's past track should be considered when running for office.

I would be glad to provide my name and phone number if Palo Alto Online would allow my full posts.

Posted by Facts and Figures
on Aug 16, 2020 at 8:36 pm

Facts and Figures is a registered user.

[Post removed.]

Posted by Former teacher
on Aug 16, 2020 at 9:45 pm

Former teacher is a registered user.

I worked at Briones when Mr. Nagle was principal. I would not recommend him for the Board of Education.

Posted by Palo Alto retired teacher
on Aug 16, 2020 at 11:32 pm

Palo Alto retired teacher is a registered user.

I see my post has been removed. I can only repeat, that I do not recommend Mr. Nagle for a post on the board of education.

Posted by Amy Brown
a resident of Green Acres
on Aug 17, 2020 at 10:21 am

Amy Brown is a registered user.

He was the principle at Briones when my daughter was there. He was awful!! He didn’t care about the kids or any problems they may have had. I would not recommend him for school board [portion removed.]

Posted by Mark Weiss
a resident of Downtown North

on Aug 17, 2020 at 11:29 am

Mark Weiss is a registered user.

Due to violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are only visible to registered users who are logged in. Use the links at the top of the page to Register or Login.