Former Palo Alto City Councilman Grant Spaeth dies at 88

Original post made on Jul 30, 2020

Grant Spaeth, a former Palo Alto city councilman, died on July 28 at 88 years old. His wife, Lori Spaeth, said the cause was from complications of Parkinson's disease.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, July 30, 2020, 9:43 AM

3 people like this
Posted by Mark Weiss
a resident of Downtown North
on Jul 30, 2020 at 11:49 am

I met Mr Spaeth in spring of 1983 my freshman year of Dartmouth, sending out my resume as it were to a fairly randomly chosen batch of local law firms. He called me in to meet him, although he explained that he did not have an opening, nor, in his opinion was there such a thing as law firm summer internships for undergrads. His father had gone to Dartmouth and he just wanted the tea on The Big Green. We had green tea, if you will.
May his memory be a blessing.

Posted by GolfWeb co-founder
on Aug 1, 2020 at 2:52 am

I worked with Grant at Golden 1996-1998. He was a golf encyclopedia & knew everyone in the golf business.
NYTomes;
GOLF: Neither Rain Nor Snow Can Dampen the Web Web Link

Posted by GolfWeb co-founder
on Aug 1, 2020 at 2:53 am

NYTomes;
GOLF: Neither Rain Nor Snow Can Dampen the Web www.nytimes.com/1996/02/04/sports/golf-neither-rain-nor-snow-can-dampen-the-web.html

Posted by GolfWeb co-founder
on Aug 1, 2020 at 2:55 am

oops in my comment above spell-check changed GolfWeb to Golden!
I worked with Grant at GolfWeb.

Posted by Michael Novelli
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Aug 9, 2020 at 1:47 pm

Michael Novelli is a registered user.

A former Palo Alto resident and Paly graduate, I had just moved to Washington, DC in January of 1977. When Grant came to town to work for then HEW, under Joe Califano, I joined him in the legislation department where we tried to enact Hospital Cost Containment as a precurser to national health. Grant spent many evenings at our house in Georgetown. He was a grand guy, very loyal, smart and great fun. Both my wife, Lynn, and I will miss him greatly.

In order to encourage respectful and thoughtful discussion, commenting on stories is available to those who are registered users. If you are already a registered user and the commenting form is not below, you need to log in. If you are not registered, you can do so here.

Please make sure your comments are truthful, on-topic and do not disrespect another poster. Don't be snarky or belittling. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

See our announcement about requiring registration for commenting.

Get the most important local news stories sent straight to your inbox daily.

Is there a polite way to say "Too much plastic"?
By Sherry Listgarten | 25 comments | 3,909 views

Community catering: How one SF Malaysian restaurant is delivering food to Peninsula neighborhoods

What I will remember about Ruth Bader Ginsburg
By Diana Diamond | 5 comments | 1,901 views

A Rainbow After the Storm
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 907 views

Premarital and Couples: See "Buck" for Couple's Tips
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 651 views

Benefiting local non-profits

The 36th annual Moonlight Run and Walk is Friday evening, October 2, wherever you are! Proceeds go to the Palo Alto Weekly Holiday Fund, benefiting local non-profits that serve families and children in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties. Join us under the light of the full Harvest Moon on a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run or half marathon.

Register Today!