For hair salons and barbershops that haven't gone out of business, it's a rocky road to recovery

Original post made on Jul 10, 2020

From interviews with operators in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties, it's clear the hair service industry is facing a long road to recovery in a pandemic that thrives in close contact and indoor spaces.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, July 10, 2020, 6:58 AM

4 people like this
Posted by Resident
on Jul 10, 2020 at 7:09 am

For many of us who are going around with a mop of shaggy hair which we may or may not have attacked with a pair of household scissors, or got a spouse to attack, we realize just how much we take for granted in some of these services we have been using over the years without thought. Every time I look in the mirror I see just what a mess my hair looks with amateur attempts to tidy up the thatch.

Because our hair is very important to the way we feel as much as the way we look. I don't have to look at my hair unless I see my reflection but I know it looks a mess so I feel a mess. As soon as I can get a decent haircut I will feel a million dollars, my mood will be lifted, and the world will be a better place. OK, maybe I exaggerate, but many will agree.

So let these essential workers do their jobs. I don't care how much they put their price up from normal, I will tip on top, but the cost is going to be worth it. I will happily sit in the parking lot if it can be done.

12 people like this
Posted by Bill
on Jul 10, 2020 at 8:13 am

I've been having my hair cut by the same person for over 14 years and finally got it cut last week. I figured that without CV-19 I would have usually had it cut at least 3 times in the interim so I paid her 3X my normal price + tip. Well worth it!

32 people like this
Posted by PAM
on Jul 10, 2020 at 11:30 am

"The landlord was willing to help, she said, but only if she signed a new lease that came with a 3% increase in rent."

Disgusting, increasing rent during a plague. It should be a 10% DECREASE in rent. I hope they leave the Bay Area and find a better place to do business.

2 people like this
Posted by chris
a resident of University South
on Jul 12, 2020 at 11:09 pm

Is Santa Clara County reopening too soon? With the reopening of outdoor dining, there has been a dramatic surge in cases recently. Not enough people are wearing masks and social distancing. Is SCC heading toward a Florida-type cesspool?

1 person likes this
Posted by chris
a resident of University South
on Jul 13, 2020 at 1:37 pm

It may not be long before Newsom’s order closing hair salons and barber shops applies to Sandra Clara County.

1 person likes this
Posted by Resident
on Jul 13, 2020 at 4:52 pm

Seems that it is only for two days. Closing again Wednesday.

Posted by resident
a resident of Downtown North
on Jul 13, 2020 at 5:57 pm

It's really too dangerous to be doing this right now. California averaged over 100 COVID fatalities per day last week.

1 person likes this
Posted by Want to help
on Jul 14, 2020 at 10:23 am

I already cherish my hairdresser. For years, I went to expensive places that often were so much trouble, trying to get good cuts. Then I ended up taking my son to various fast-cheap-cut places and found someone who has given me haircuts that sometimes rival the most expensive, for around $20, which is what I can afford now.

I pinch myself that these stylists exist. I’ve gotten very attached to having a fast cut like that. If I want a change, they’re walk in and so fast, I can take my chances. The trick is to remember it’s a $20 haircut and not pester the stylist- I’ve seen people treat them like they’re there for their $100 hour-long salon session, which is not cool imho.

I wish I could ask for a cut in my backyard everyone wearing masks, my tools. I’d pay $100 for that and tip for all the cuts I’ve missed. My family are either shaggy or bald, and I’ve had to trim my own hair. As a shortcoiffed woman it is not easy let me tell you. I don’t know how the women who worked there are getting by. Because of the walk in convenience they don’t have a client list. I wish the Weekly would create a list of salons and volunteer to manage Go Fund Me efforts for local salons so that people have confidence of where the money is going. I can’t just pay my hairdresser remotely, I don’t even know how to contact them. They don’t have an online presence. They were a really valued service for those of us who can’t afford the expensive cuts. (Grateful Head in Mountain View).

In order to encourage respectful and thoughtful discussion, commenting on stories is available to those who are registered users. If you are already a registered user and the commenting form is not below, you need to log in. If you are not registered, you can do so here.

Please make sure your comments are truthful, on-topic and do not disrespect another poster. Don't be snarky or belittling. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

See our announcement about requiring registration for commenting.

Get important election coverage sent straight to your inbox daily.

Is there a polite way to say "Too much plastic"?
By Sherry Listgarten | 25 comments | 3,916 views

Community catering: How one SF Malaysian restaurant is delivering food to Peninsula neighborhoods

What I will remember about Ruth Bader Ginsburg
By Diana Diamond | 5 comments | 1,905 views

A Rainbow After the Storm
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 908 views

Premarital and Couples: See "Buck" for Couple's Tips
By Chandrama Anderson | 2 comments | 658 views

Benefiting local non-profits

The 36th annual Moonlight Run and Walk is Friday evening, October 2, wherever you are! Proceeds go to the Palo Alto Weekly Holiday Fund, benefiting local non-profits that serve families and children in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties. Join us under the light of the full Harvest Moon on a 5K walk, 5K run, 10K run or half marathon.

Register Today!