Uber ride goes awry: Passenger allegedly batters driver during unexpected stop in Palo Alto | Town Square | Palo Alto Online |

Original post made on Jun 15, 2020

An Uber passenger who requested a destination change during the middle of his ride allegedly battered his driver and attempted to steal the vehicle in Palo Alto on Friday evening, police said.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, June 15, 2020, 5:35 PM

11 people like this
Posted by Jennifer
on Jun 15, 2020 at 9:42 pm

Uber isn't safe for passengers or Uber drivers. It's internet hitchhiking. The only people who really benefit are the high tech billionaires, and the driver's and passengers are being used as pawns. Please wise up about the "gig economy."

Posted by Support Your Cab Drivers
on Jun 16, 2020 at 8:59 am

[Post removed.]

7 people like this
Posted by Eva_PA
a resident of Ventura
on Jun 16, 2020 at 10:23 am

I have to disagree. I have used Uber extensively and never had an issue with any of the drivers (had two issues with Lyft drivers, but I guess that happens). However, I had numerous issues with taxi drivers (crazy drivers yelling and driving nuts, or taking 15 min to drive what should be 3-4 by purposely hitting every light). Like anything, it depends on who you get. Also I would never want to go back to the time when you would call a cab and hope it showed up (happened many times on the way to the airport). Or in San Francisco where I could never get a cab before Uber came due to the limits by the taxi union.

Posted by Jennifer
on Jun 16, 2020 at 11:19 am

Eva PA - I'm glad you never had an issue with Uber, but never say never. A lot of these drivers are people who can't get a job elsewhere (convicted felons, etc.) What did it for me was reading an article "confessions of an Uber driver." Sexual assault, armed robbery, etc. At least with cabs the company is regulated, where the "gig economy" is highly unregulated. You waive ALL rights with Uber, and people don't realize this because most people won't read the "small print."

9 people like this
Posted by MR
on Jun 16, 2020 at 12:49 pm

I agree with Eva_PA as I've used both Uber and taxis around the world. I've never had an Uber driver do or say the crazy things that some taxi drivers have said and done. I appreciate the professional behavior of the Uber drivers and the ability to know when they are arriving. I've had tourist suggestions, parenting discussions, incredible life stories and life challenges shared by Uber drivers. When travel is open again, I'm going to start documenting these conversations for and article called "Stories Uber drivers told me".

5 people like this
Posted by 1drin
a resident of Charleston Meadows
on Jun 16, 2020 at 1:12 pm

Jennifer - You're quite right about the risks involved with Uber drivers.
It's also true that, while you can get an Uber ride with just a few clicks, calling a cab company can be very frustrating. I feel bad for all those thousands of cabbies who have been displaced by Uber/Lyft, but in order to bring my business to them, I have to deal with company dispatchers. In my experience, those people have no idea what "customer service" means.
I don't expect melodious chats or to be asked how my day is going; just a few basic phone manners will do. Instead, dispatchers (when they actually take your call) just bark one- or two-word replies. That leaves me wanting to forget MY manners, flip them, and take my chances with Lyft, even if they are cologne-drenched felons.

3 people like this
Posted by Midlander
on Jun 16, 2020 at 4:08 pm

This sounds like a pretty scary experience for the driver. I'm glad they weren't badly hurt.

Taxi drivers and Uber drivers always take a risk whenever they take on a passenger. One of the big advantages of Uber is that passengers have to be registered, so they cannot rely on anonymity. And drivers can leave ratings for passengers, so a consistently rude or troublesome passenger will soon find they can't get rides.

My experiences as a passenger with Uber have been uniformly good, across a range of cities and countries. The fact that passengers rate the drivers and drivers also rate the passengers does provide an incentive for both sides to play nice!

In order to encourage respectful and thoughtful discussion, commenting on stories is available to those who are registered users. If you are already a registered user and the commenting form is not below, you need to log in. If you are not registered, you can do so here.

Please make sure your comments are truthful, on-topic and do not disrespect another poster. Don't be snarky or belittling. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

See our announcement about requiring registration for commenting.

Get fact-based reporting on the COVID-19 crisis sent to your inbox daily.

Fighting an 'uphill battle,' Palo Alto's longtime MacArthur Park to close until 2021
By Elena Kadvany | 1 comment | 4,382 views

Do peaceful protests do any good? How about the more violent ones?
By Diana Diamond | 7 comments | 2,520 views

Traffic Lights for the Whole Family
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,928 views

Did a hedge fund just steal your EV rebate?
By Sherry Listgarten | 0 comments | 1,358 views