After 40 years, a warrior for animals rides off into the sunset | Town Square | Palo Alto Online |

After 40 years, a warrior for animals rides off into the sunset

Original post made on May 1, 2020

After a decadeslong journey through Palo Alto's animal kingdom, Animal Services Officer William Warrior retired on Thursday. He is taking his trusty border collie, Lilly, with him.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, May 1, 2020, 6:38 AM

27 people like this
Posted by eileen
a resident of College Terrace
on May 1, 2020 at 9:20 am

Thanks for writing this wonderful article about William Warrior. What an interesting man! I wish him many wonderful years ahead enjoying nature and the animals around us! He will be missed.

24 people like this
Posted by Downfall
a resident of Fairmeadow
on May 1, 2020 at 10:04 am

This saddens me so much and this is a great loss to our city. I agree with the quote in the article that he cannot be replaced. I have called on animal services 3 times in my time in Palo Alto, each time Mr. Warrior responded quickly and handled the situations with great knowledge and skill. That you Mr. Warrior for your service to our city and all the animals you have helped through the years,

5 people like this
Posted by Dog Lover
on May 1, 2020 at 10:24 am

When I was cited for having my dog unleashed, I complained to Mr. Warrior that why were countless neighborhood as well as feral cats allowed to run free san leashes.

He responded by loaning me two cat traps & advising me to contact Animal Control whenever I had trapped a cat and they would take them away.

For bait, I used fish heads that I had procured for free from Cook's Seafood in Menlo Park & within a matter of two weeks, I had caught over 12 cats who were then turned over to Animal Control Services where they attempted to contact the owners (if the cat was tagged/collared). The owners were given a specific amount of days to claim their cats & fined $50.00...the unidentified/unclaimed cats were euthanized.

I applaud this fair sense of play as cats should not have special privileges.

16 people like this
Posted by district teacher
on May 1, 2020 at 1:37 pm

I met him only once a couple of months ago while I was out walking my dog (on leash!) and we chatted. I am so grateful that I took the time to chat with him because he was so lovely. I came home from my walk and shared with the family about the nicest person I had met. I still have his card with Lilly's photo on it. Happy retirement!

15 people like this
Posted by sk
a resident of Palo Verde
on May 1, 2020 at 2:38 pm

We once had a bird trapped inside our house - was having a hard time trying to get it out. William showed up within an hour or so as soon as I contacted animal control. He will be missed.

16 people like this
Posted by ALB
a resident of College Terrace
on May 1, 2020 at 2:58 pm

William Warrior is fair and an empath. We will miss him and wish him well. Thank you William.

15 people like this
Posted by Christine
a resident of Los Altos
on May 1, 2020 at 3:46 pm

I think in all of my animal service calls, William Warrior was always the one who handled difficult situations with the most common sense and empathy. He was very good at his job and will truly be missed.

18 people like this
Posted by Miki RVT
a resident of Community Center
on May 1, 2020 at 3:49 pm

Bill Warrior is the best of the best. Having known him for decades his sense of caring, compassion to the animals (and people), along with his knowledge of the community (and dealing with a wide variety of animals) will truly be missed. He could catch anything and I mean anything. Bill had a way about him he could out wit, out smart, out catch even the smartest/trickiest of animals. He has been a dedicated part of the community and has helped thousands of animals.I truly thank you Bill for all that you have done for the animals in the community.

8 people like this
Posted by VS
a resident of Greenmeadow
on May 1, 2020 at 8:04 pm

Bill Warrior is a legend in this neighborhood. We had a mother duck who nested behind some brush in our parking lot. We called Animal Control to understand what we should do. Bill Warrior came out & encouraged us to just let her do her thing, and 4 weeks later we had 10 ducklings following Mother Duck around, trying to find access to the creek (which was not accessible). Bill Warrior returned and with help from the neighbors, he calmly educated us and gently attended to the young family. We herded the ducklings & Mom into a carrier so he could return them to the Baylands, which was a better envionrment to raise ducklings. It was such a positive experience all around.

He is such a kind decent, and caring man. Glad to know he will still be among us after retirement. Thank you, Bill, for your service!

6 people like this
Posted by Nanette
on May 1, 2020 at 8:36 pm

What a wonderful man. From rescuing one of my kittens from our tall camphor tree decades ago, to coming to care for sick squirrels or birds in our backyard over the years with such a calm and reassuring manner, to his wonderful book about Citi-B, he has always shown kindness and excellence in his work for the city. Will miss him so very much and I hope to run into him on the Arastradero preserve where I saw him a few weeks ago. Wishing him and his wife a joyful next chapter!

Posted by Anonymous
on May 1, 2020 at 10:11 pm

Recall had contact with his wife at the vet’s some years ago (she was or is still a vet technician),if my recollection is accurate...she was very nice and professional.

7 people like this
Posted by Susan K
on May 1, 2020 at 11:24 pm

William Warrior changed my low opinion of Animal Control. He has true compassion for animals, especially rescues. He is a Palo Alto treasure.

Posted by Nancy
on May 2, 2020 at 6:24 pm

Years ago around midnight we were in the emergency clinic in midtown, when Bill came busting through the door with a bob cat snared at the end of a pole. The huge cat wasn't very happy but Bill looked determined to get him some emergency care. He always tried to find lost animals' homes before placing them in the shelter, and knew where lots of "escape artists" lived! What a wonderful caring fair part of our community William Warrior was as an animal control officer. I'm happy he and his wife will continue to be part of our community. Happy trails to you Bill, Pam and Lily!

2 people like this
Posted by Nay
a resident of South of Midtown
on Jun 23, 2020 at 3:53 pm

I absolutely don't recommend setting up cat traps to trap cats who dont have an owner and then euthanizing them at the Palo alto animal shelter as suggested by the dog lover in his comment above. This is very cruel and inhumane. Cats dont like to bite people, its not in their nature and theyll run away from humans rather than trying to harm them. Palo alto is full of animal lovers and we would rather have the cats that dont have a home rome and have a happy life for as long as they can.

Posted by GeoffPaulsen
on Jun 23, 2020 at 8:58 pm

As a park ranger at Foothills Park, I worked with William for several years, and encountered him occasionally after retirement at one of my old patrol routes, the Arastradero Preserve.

Thanks, William, for your years of dedicated service, and for demonstrating that you can wear a badge and have a gentle, compassionate demeanor.