Coronavirus weekend update: Nursing homes in Santa Clara and San Mateo County with COVID-19 cases identified

Original post made on Apr 19, 2020

The California Department of Public Health released new county-based data on COVID-19 cases within skilled nursing facilities.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Saturday, April 18, 2020, 9:05 AM

10 people like this
Posted by Javon
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Apr 19, 2020 at 12:19 am

Newsom for president! The man is pushing positive initiatives, changing the approach in juvenile halls, providing funds for the undocumented, and housing the homeless in hotel rooms. I can’t wait to see what else he has in store for our great state. Imagine if he was the President of The United States.

3 people like this
Posted by A COVID-19 Predisposition
a resident of Community Center
on Apr 19, 2020 at 9:18 am

A COVID-19 outbreak at an RCFE (Retirement Community For the Elderly) and/or a SNL (Skilled Nursing Facility) is not surprising as the employees are coming & going (i.e. on/off shifts & interacting with the outside world as well) + many of the residents/patients are already compromised in terms of their health conditions.

In regards to Gavin Newsome for future POTUS...my vote would go to Governor Cuomo of New York.

7 people like this
Posted by Anonymous
on Apr 19, 2020 at 11:34 am

Part-time staff, often w/o PPE or much of it....going from facility to facility. Distracted, over-burdened, low-paid staff, many of them.
Family members can’t visit their relative in a facility.
Limited reporting of illness or suspected Covid 19 deaths.
This is horrific.
We can do better.

2 people like this
Posted by ASR
a resident of College Terrace
on Apr 20, 2020 at 10:08 am

Very comprehensive update.

2 people like this
Posted by Marie
a resident of South of Midtown
on Apr 20, 2020 at 2:38 pm

There are two other Santa Clara County retirement communities that were not mentioned above. The Forum had an employee who had worked in their health center test positive for COVID19 in March. Kudos to the Forum and their policies in place already in March - the employee did not transmit the virus to anyone else in the health center and they have had no further cases.

The Vi on Stanford campus, the most luxurious of all local retirement communities, with several nobel prize winners living there, as of April 11 had had 9 residents test positive for COVID19 only one of which was transmitted on site. Only 3 were still active on April 11 per a report I saw.. It is interesting that there have been no public updates about the Vi's situation since the first two patients in March, which is all that came up in a google search.

Web Link

Neither were mentioned in today's PA. Online article. The Mercury lists The Forum but not the Vi. Why aren't the cases at the Vi acknowledged in the press?

Web Link

I hope the Palo Alto Weekly looks into this and lets us know what is happening at the Vi. By all accounts, they are doing a great job managing their cases. It should be a source of pride, not something to be covered up.

3 people like this
Posted by Fritzie Blue
a resident of Stanford
on Apr 20, 2020 at 2:43 pm

There is another tragic component to Assisted Living/Memory care/Skilled Nursing facilities during this terrible time. Residents are in lockdown in their rooms. Those who can't walk are in bed 24/7, and not getting the daily stimulation, family visits, (as Anonymous pointed out) or visits from outside caregivers that they normally receive. Many are rapidly going downhill because of this. A sad, sad situation.

1 person likes this
Posted by Facility Inmate
a resident of Mountain View
on Apr 21, 2020 at 9:40 am

quote>"There is another tragic component to Assisted Living/Memory care/Skilled Nursing facilities during this terrible time. Residents are in lockdown in their rooms...Many are rapidly going downhill because of this."

^^^ I am currently in lockdown at a skilled nursing facility & my elderly mother is permanently sequestered in a memory care retirement community.

In-house attendant services are deteriorating due to the increasing number of patients/residents (aka inmates) & staffing shortages.

They were never that good to begin with & now things are getting worse.

Though these facilities are generating added revenue due to the increase of patients + additional Medicare & Medicaid payments, moral is low among the overworked & underpaid CNAs (certified nursing assistants), janitors and kitchen staffs.

I am planning to escape from this Papillon within the next few days...a friend is driving down from Oregon & I am simply going to walk out the front door & hop into his car as the facility cannot stop me from doing so.

Then it is on to Mt. Hood.

1 person likes this
Posted by Magnolia Gardens Senior Care
on Apr 23, 2020 at 4:27 pm

Our assisted living community (Web Link) is being as diligent as we can to protect our residents. But it does have a huge impact when family can't come in to see them :(

Posted by roger weiner
on Apr 29, 2020 at 8:34 pm

where do I go to report a licensed nursing home in Redwood City who violated lockdown by allowing a patient's family to visit. The owner of home and the family member admitted to me on my cell phone the violations and records are on my cell server. The patient is now seriously ill. The patient was covid-19 tested Friday, April 24 by the County. I fear that many of patients at the nursing home have been exposed to covid-19 by intentional violation of County protocols. Time is of essence. I am not a blood relative but compelled to not let my friend and other die needlessly at the nursing home. The nursing home will not tell me if she tested positive; I received an email today from an attorney that the patient is near death.

Anyone know someone in San Mateo District Attorney's Office? Certainly violations by licensed care facilities cannot go unreported. Help. Roger Weiner 650-222-2310