Cover your face!

Original post made by Me 2, Old Palo Alto, on Apr 13, 2020

I spent sometime driving around the neighborhood to make sure my car battery stays charged. I was surprised at how many people were wandering around, jogging and riding their bikes. So much for people staying at home.

But what was shocking was the lack of masks or other facial covering.

People, cover your face. Especially joggers and bicyclists who can spread their droplets along a further distance than people walking. When you exercise, you respirate more.

Now they're talking about 6 feet not being enough - some more recent studies have shown viruses going over 10 feet.

Be courteous and don't be a spreader.

Posted by Agree
on Apr 13, 2020 at 4:14 pm

Saw the same. Which crime is more serious, a burglary or bicycling in public without a mask?

I’m boggled by the selfish indifference shown by so many.

I’ve also seen groups of friends within two feet of each other without masks.

Posted by Revolving around Palo alto
on Apr 13, 2020 at 4:38 pm

Cover your face - you are allowed to go out to exercise. But I wouldn't critisize if I were you given that you were not sheltering in place either.

Agree-bicycling without a face mask is not a crime. How do you know they were groups of friends and not people that all live together.

I would have thought the pandemic would have made Palo alto residents less judgemental, but I guess when the universe revolves around you....

Posted by JR
a resident of Palo Verde
on Apr 13, 2020 at 4:52 pm

Posted by Me 2
on Apr 13, 2020 at 5:52 pm

"it would be friendly to not nag neighbors who are following the order to the letter. "

The letter or the spirit? The spirit is to prevent community spreading of the virus. Asymptomatic folks not wearing a facial covering have a higher chance of spreading the virus around even though they feel healthy.

Or maybe you just care about yourself just because you feel "uncomfortable" protecting the community if you have to wear a mask.

Posted by Same
a resident of Ventura
on Apr 13, 2020 at 6:01 pm

They are right, cover your face. We’ve ruined the economy and shut down our life, so make the effort, shed a little of your specialness and entitlement, and cover your mouth and nose. We are “better together” at least that’s what the media commercials are spouting.

Posted by Anon
on Apr 13, 2020 at 6:05 pm

>> I was surprised at how many people were wandering around, jogging and riding their bikes. So much for people staying at home.

I've been out for walks every day, as permitted. I don't usually wear a face covering, although I have several times when (forced to go) shopping. Outside, I try to stay 20+ feet away from anyone who is not part of my household. I think that is OK by regulations.

Posted by Resident
on Apr 13, 2020 at 7:05 pm

The problem is the finger pointing.

I go out walking, I stay as far as possible from anyone I encounter. Usually much more likely a car's width if I pass in the street, or cross to the other side, I don't wear a mask. I wear glasses and they fog up with a mask. The mask blocks the smell from the jasmine, the roses, the smells from people grilling, or frying bacon, all an enjoyable experience of being outside.

I go shopping and always wear a mask. My glasses fog up. I can't see the labels on products, etc. when my glasses fog up.

I will not tell anyone else how to live their life. I would appreciate others from telling me what to do since the only mask restrictions are inside stores.

Posted by I agree
a resident of Duveneck School
on Apr 13, 2020 at 11:41 pm

Me 2,

you violated the order by driving around needlessly.
Stay home.
The people outside are walking for their health, we need people to exercise.
They are not required to wear a mask per the current order.

Posted by I agree
on Apr 13, 2020 at 11:47 pm

btw, if you are really afraid of your battery discharging that fast
either have your car fixed or disconnect your battery.

Posted by Me 2
on Apr 14, 2020 at 10:56 am

"They are not required to wear a mask per the current order.
The assumption that they have a mask that they are just not wearing is presumptuous."

Hilarious. What can change in a day.

Put your mask on.

Posted by I agree
on Apr 14, 2020 at 11:55 am

I wear one, I have been for about a week.

So are you saying there is a Santa Clara county or state wide order that requires a mask outdoors now?
Link?

Posted by Best of times / Worst of times
on Apr 14, 2020 at 4:19 pm

To JR:

<<Driving around the neighborhood to charge your battery (unlike exercise) is not allowed under the shelter in place order. OP, you were violating the shelter in place order, so you are the scofflaw here. Please respect the order and don't ride around the neighborhood for disallowed reasons. In addition, it would be friendly to not nag neighbors who are following the order to the letter. There is not one sentence in the order about wearing a mask, and some residents do not feel safe wearing masks. Please mind your own business. Thank you.>>

This response is just plain wrong.

Posted by I agree
on Apr 14, 2020 at 7:32 pm

Best of times / Worst of times,

The purpose of wearing the mask is to stop people from touching their faces, here is what you are trying to prevent.

Face touch person A, -> Surface touch X by person A -> Surface touch X by person B -> face touch person B.

When walking for exercise don't touch common surfaces, Homemade masks will not stop an airborne virus.
He is right the non-household should not walk together, but how would he know that is happening from inside a car. He does not, The problem I have with him is he is being judgemental and presumptuous while violating the shelter in place order. Mind you it is a minor violation, but his expectation that people go above and beyond when he is not, is just silly.

Posted by Palo Alto not China Alto