At Addison Elementary, students learn when foods sing

Original post made on Nov 22, 2019

The whimsical world of Laura Wright's second-grade classroom produces a 20-minute, Thanksgiving-themed musical that arguably could be considered a surrealist, avant-garde piece of work.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, November 22, 2019, 8:42 AM

15 people like this
Posted by MJ
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 22, 2019 at 10:54 am

I have always felt that Ms Wright is THE treasure of Addison and PAUSD. My kids loved her class and felt that her teaching still made such a positive impact in their later years. Every student needs a Ms Wright in their world.

6 people like this
Posted by 3 Time Addison parent
a resident of University South
on Nov 22, 2019 at 1:10 pm

3 Time Addison parent is a registered user.

Absolutely ! Ms Wright is pure gem. And she is correct that a) you need to have fun in school and b) "No Turkey for Perky" allows the students to gain a ton of self-confidence. We are so lucky to have her...

6 people like this
Posted by Downtown North
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 22, 2019 at 1:57 pm

Downtown North is a registered user.

We love Miss Wright! She makes school fun and Addison and PA are lucky to have her! My 18 year old will visit spring semester to say hi!
Happy Thanksgiving!

9 people like this
Posted by Addison Fan
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 22, 2019 at 2:37 pm

This is the type of feel good news we all need - Amazing teachers and the impact they have on students! All of my kids attended Addison and were lucky enough to be in Ms. Wright's class. They learned so much about academics and life skills. No Turkey For Perky is a classic, Palo Alto tradition. Please continue No Turkey for Perky!!! I am just about to hear the songs and phrases next Thursday! We love you Laura Wright. Gobble Gobble.

5 people like this
Posted by Former Addison parent
a resident of Southgate
on Nov 22, 2019 at 2:45 pm

Several years ago, my child joined Ms. Wright's class on November 1st and spoke no English. In spite of that, she found a way to include him in No Turkey for Perky as a non-speaking slice of pizza. She is a gem!

3 people like this
Posted by Addison Alumni Mom
on Nov 22, 2019 at 3:00 pm

One of my daughters was lucky enough to have Ms. Wright as a teacher in 2nd grade. She is wonderful. And every time I see a red high heel shoe, I think of her.

3 people like this
Posted by I❤️Addison
on Nov 22, 2019 at 3:21 pm

Ms. Wright is a treasure - my 14 year old daughter, 2 of her friends and I were in the audience yesterday and we still know all the words to all the songs in “No Turkey for Perky”. All the former students in attendance asked to be excused from school in order to attend. Ms. Wright has instilled a sense of community, belonging and a love for the arts in her students. We love you, Laura!

3 people like this
Posted by MIDDLE SCHOOLER
a resident of Greene Middle School
on Nov 22, 2019 at 3:35 pm

i never had mrs wright yet i still love to go to the no turkey for perky show because i like to see all the changes the students make to the show. THANK YOU MRS WRIGHT FROME PERSON WHO GAVE YOU PINAPLE PENCIL SHAPENER

2 people like this
Posted by Former Student of Ms. Wright
a resident of Addison School
on Nov 23, 2019 at 12:23 pm

I played Hazelbelle Hanks when I was in second grade three years ago, and when I saw it this year I thought it was really good! It is a really good Thanksgiving musical! Ms. Wright casts everyone in the right roles (I think) and it is guaranteed the whole class will have a great time. I love you Ms. Wright!!!

2 people like this
Posted by Retired
on Nov 25, 2019 at 9:18 pm

Well, well, well, there is some good in PAUSD.
Not good, GREAT.
Our airwaves have been taken over by lawsuits, student stress, harassment, cheating, firings, hirings, name changes, logos, programs, protests, equity vs inequity etc etc etc.
Here we got some good old fashioned teaching, learning, fun and happiness going on!
Keep it up and give everyone some more of what they got in this
lucky classroom.