'Rape is not a punishment for getting drunk.' Chanel Miller speaks out during her first interview about being sexually assaulted by Brock Turner

Original post made on Sep 23, 2019

Chanel Miller was at the center of one of the most high-profile sexual assault cases in recent years. Until now, the world knew little about who she is.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Monday, September 23, 2019, 9:24 AM

54 people like this
Posted by resident
a resident of Community Center
on Sep 23, 2019 at 9:47 am

We applaud and thank Ms. Miller for speaking out and helping to reform California's justice system. Clearly what happened to her from the crime through the trial and sentencing was wrong on many different levels. I am sorry that the judge did not appreciate that.

14 people like this
Posted by Agreed
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Sep 23, 2019 at 9:54 am

[Post removed.]

24 people like this
Posted by resident3
on Sep 23, 2019 at 11:02 am

resident3 is a registered user.

The role of upstanders is compelling

Gave the victim hope and without them there was no case to have changed the law

18 people like this
Posted by frustrated mom
a resident of Palo Verde
on Sep 23, 2019 at 7:39 pm

frustrated mom is a registered user.

I admire this young lady and Ms. Dauber. Thanks to them justice was served when they removed Persky out of the court. Hopefully, this will remind other people that if women have too much to drink does not gives them the right to rape them. I too was raped when I was young, I was at a party, and a man took me outside away from my family and raped me. When my sisters found me it was too late. I tried to fight back, but I was not strong to push him away or fight because I was drank. I did have enough energy to say "NO", but I was ignored, and he was like an animal out of control. When my sisters found me it was too late. I imagined they knew what had happened, but we never talked about it. I was too ashamed. Of course, my mother never knew about it. Good luck to you, and I hope you are getting the help you need so the experience does not hount you as is has hounted me. Thanks for revealing your name, now I sympatize even more with you, because I know you are real, and you are brave. You are stronger than Turner, even though he was or is an athlete. You have more values than he does. He almost destroyed you, but your survived. His parents should had taught them better.

49 people like this
Posted by iron squaw
a resident of Downtown North
on Sep 23, 2019 at 7:45 pm

iron squaw is a registered user.

I feel a great injustice was done to Judge Persky, who did nothing wrong. He merely followed the recommendation of the probation officer, which is a common occurrence. He has sought no publicity and didn’t appear on 60 Minutes or write a book. He is suffering, rather than prospering, from this unfortunate situation. My heart goes out to him and his family. He can’t even get a job as a tennis coach. I hope and pray that his life improves as time goes on. Read about him and you will see that he is an honorable and good man who deserves so much more. XO

25 people like this
Posted by :/
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Sep 23, 2019 at 10:50 pm

:/ is a registered user.

[Portion removed.] Glad that she is healing from sharing her story and those who have been assaulted or raped can relate to her story and perhaps gain some peace.

[Portion removed.]

Cannot expect to hold a steak in front of a pit bull without consequence. One can argue till blue in the face that it's unfair and wrong but it will continue. [Portion removed.]

11 people like this
Posted by Wow
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Sep 23, 2019 at 11:33 pm

Wow is a registered user.

"Cannot expect to hold a steak in front of a pit bull without consequence"

If the implication is that men are like pit bulls, then, like dangerous animals, they need to be kept on leashes at all times. In fact, pit bulls are banned in two Canadian provinces, most of Australia, and a number of states and cities in the US.

Banning, muzzling, and leashing men seems like a bad idea. Better is to expect them to behave like adults, and hold them criminally accountable otherwise.

10 people like this
Posted by :/
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Sep 24, 2019 at 2:51 am

:/ is a registered user.

Hey last poster named “Wow”, know what a metaphor is? And yes, there are some men who need to be locked up, and some that already are. To think that everyone will meet your expectations of proper behavior is naive. People amaze me all the time. In NY, they were throwing a tantrum, blocking people from being able to reach their workplaces. So selfish.

19 people like this
Posted by A Moral Compass
a resident of Leland Manor/Garland Drive
on Sep 24, 2019 at 7:49 am

A Moral Compass is a registered user.

From the PA Weekly headline:

'Rape is not a punishment for getting drunk.' Chanel Miller speaks out...

^^^ Concurring BUT the responsible use (and even restraint) of alcohol also enters into the picture & applies whether one is at work, driving a car or partying.

Ms. Miller allowed herself to become more vulnerable to this unfortunate incident by overextending her alcohol consumption & then passing out on the grounds.

Brock Turner exploited her condition & is essentially a sexual predator.

Judge Persky perhaps being a former collegiate athlete himself, kept Turner's sentencing to a minimum when he KNEW there would be public outrage.

There are flaws in all three behaviors as this incident could have been easily avoided.

11 people like this
Posted by Anneke
a resident of Professorville
on Sep 24, 2019 at 10:43 am

Anneke is a registered user.

Sexual assault: WRONG
Rape: WRONG
Rape is not a punishment for getting drunk: RIGHT

"After consumption, alcohol causes the body's systems to slow down. ....One of the most significant short term side effects of alcohol is reduced inhibition. Reduced inhibitions can lead to an increase in sexual behavior." Wikipedia

[Portion removed.]

Binge drinking on college campuses has caused and will continue to cause many more cases of sexual wrong doing. It needs to be addressed and managed strongly by the Executive Board of each college and university. I believe they carry a major responsibility to guide these young adults, after they have left their parental nest, in becoming good and moral adults with well developed mature brains.