'I don't think there is trust on this board.' Fissures emerge between East Palo Alto school trustees during retreat | Town Square | Palo Alto Online |

Original post made on Aug 18, 2019

Nine months after an election created new dynamics on the Ravenswood City School District Board of Education, the new and old trustees are struggling to find common ground.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Sunday, August 18, 2019, 9:08 AM

2 people like this
Posted by Ego
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Aug 18, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Here is what I learned from watching that board meeting online:

Ana is rude, a bully and even though she has more years on the board she is least qualified to make decisions. It was great hearing the experiences of Sharifa, Tamera and Stephanie and what they bring to the table.

I learned that Sharifa, Stephanie and Tam are willing to work together for the good of the kids.

I learned that Ana only cares about her own opinion and refuses to listen to other people.

I also learned that Ana is willing to sit there and go at someone arms folded, refusing to listen to someone else and make them cry and then get up and walk away with a smile.

It is a divided board. Four members willing to tie the ropes and one member refusing to even throw in her rope while she sits back, arms crossed criticizing everyone else and unwilling to help. The golden rule of doing unto others as you'd have them do unto you is certainly lost on her.

8 people like this
Posted by Jesusita Rivera, RCSD teacher
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Aug 18, 2019 at 12:58 pm

Trustee Pulido, it is with prior leadership, you included, that our district kept flowing backwards. In the 18 years of me teaching and when I was a student myself, I have never felt more progress as there is now under Superintendent Sudaria and with the two new board members along with Trustee Gaona. It is in my humble opinion that it is trustee Pulido and Wilson that the unnecessary strife is coming from. The two of them cause division, in my opinion, and not the unity that is so needed. Pulido mentions the intentions of the people on the committee, well, as I’ve voiced many a times at board meetings, I question Pulido’s and Wilson’s intentions. Fitch, Sobomehin, Gaona, and Sudaria’s intentions are very TRANSPARENT. They serve the children, family, the entire community. In regards to Sudaria being interim, she IS and should be the superintendent. Foolish would be to let her go. No committee needed to search for a superintendent when we have a super star now. Foolish, foolish, foolish district if she is let go.

9 people like this
Posted by Anon
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Aug 18, 2019 at 1:54 pm

Here's a link to a video of the event, which was shared in the EPA Neighbors Facebook group: Web Link

Here is what was discussed, with timestamps:
0:00 Getting started, review agenda
0:12 "Ice Breaker" - Parable of the Ropes
0:24 Board Member backgrounds, narratives, reasons for joining the board, concerns about how the board is functioning
0:25 Tamara Sobomehin
0:34 Sharifa Wilson
0:53 Stephanie Fitch
1:20 Ana Maria Pulido
1:44 Gina Sudaria
2:11 Wrap up introductions and summary by Dr. Satterwhite
2:32 Strategic Planning Process discussion
3:48 Lunch break
3:54 Supt Search Process discussion
4:12 Supt/Board Roles & Protocols
4:55 Round Robin wrap up comments

4 people like this
Posted by Team Gina
a resident of Woodland Ave. area (East Palo Alto)
on Aug 18, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Please board.... Keep Gina Sudaria!!! She is doing so much to better unite and improve our district for our kids and all stakeholders!!!!!

Posted by Just wait
a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Aug 18, 2019 at 4:30 pm

how much does consulting group cost? Why are schools closing and everyone but paras are getting raises? Paras make the same as McDonalds employees. It doesn’t sound right.

2 people like this
Posted by Paras did get raises
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Aug 18, 2019 at 4:38 pm

All classified and certificated staff members got raises .... including paras. The only group that did not get raises was management.

You are correct that the superintendent search will cost money.

Keeping our current Superintendent not only makes sense but it saves time, money and resources. Not to mention she is the most qualified person for the job!!

2 people like this
Posted by RFT
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Aug 19, 2019 at 2:58 am

I hope Gloria stays on. She's doing an excellent job!

Public servants contribute best when they are open-minded, see the big picture and accept change. Accepting change and trusting the new members are critical. Trusting the process is key. What worked in the past might not be what is needed now. Humility helps.

Good luck to everyone and may all of the students benefit from your hard work.

1 person likes this
Posted by Jesusita is Right
a resident of Palo Verde
on Aug 20, 2019 at 5:50 am

Jesusita is Right is a registered user.

To RFT,
Did you try to say Gina Sudaria or Gloria, former super?
To Jesusita Rivera you said:
"It is in my humble opinion that it is trustee Pulido and Wilson that the unnecessary strife is coming from. The two of them cause division, in my opinion, and not the unity that is so needed."
You​​ ​are ​right, I remember attending some meetings with my teenager son and leaving frustrated because I witnessed how Wilson and Pulido treated Gaona; even my son noticed it, and he asked me: "Mom, Why are they so rude to trustee Gaona?"
I think what is going on here is that they were used to be the be dictators along with Ms. Hernandez, and the two other board prior members who always followed them, and now they sometimes do it, but not as often and bad as they did before. Hopefully, they get to learn to treat others with respect and realize that they no longer can be the dictators.

Posted by OH GOODNESS!
on Aug 29, 2019 at 11:02 am

After reading the posting from Jesusita Rivera, RCSD Teacher, I now have a better understanding of why our children's writing skills may be so low. To everyone, please check your grammar and syntax before posting here. Especially if you are representing yourself as an RCSD teacher.

Posted by OH GOODNESS!
on Aug 29, 2019 at 11:25 am

After reading the posting from RCSD Teacher, I now have a better understanding of why our children's writing say be so low. To everyone, please check your grammar and syntax before posting here. Especially if you are representing yourself as an RCSD teacher.

All your news. All in one place. Every day.

Pluto's appears to close after more than two decades in downtown Palo Alto

Edible Education – Free Course - UC Berkeley Online

Local Pols Debate Climate
By Sherry Listgarten | 8 comments | 2,233 views

Letting Christmas Linger
By Cheryl Bac | 5 comments | 1,204 views

The E.R.A. – no real equality yet. Why not?
By Diana Diamond | 10 comments | 599 views