Medical leader and surgeon R. Hewlett Lee dies at 89

Original post made on Jan 21, 2016

R. Hewlett "Hewey" Lee, M.D., a leader for decades in medical affairs in Palo Alto, Stanford University and statewide, died Wednesday after several years of declining health. He was 89.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, January 21, 2016, 4:25 PM

Posted by Paul
on Jan 22, 2016 at 8:14 am

Bravo Dr. Lee and thanks for all your contributions to the PA Medical Community! PAMF has been, for me, the single point of sanity in the US medical system since the early 80s.

We are in currently in the process of helping to name a grandson, I just added Hewlett to the list.

Posted by Thea Peterson
a resident of Menlo Park
on Jan 22, 2016 at 3:35 pm

Dr."Hewey" Lee was such a kind and Happy doctor. Whenever I was lucky enough to see him he always had a broad smile and humorous joke to share.
He is truly missed - we are lucky to have been founded by such a great family.

Posted by bradcoin3
on Jan 22, 2016 at 6:04 pm

I agree

Posted by Paul Lee
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Jan 26, 2016 at 8:18 am

Jay Thorwaldson! Once again you have provided the community a deep understanding of one our outstanding citizens. Many, many relatives of Hewey have come up and told me things they never new about Hewey before reading this wonderful tribute.

1 person likes this
Posted by Rochelle Winston Davies
a resident of Menlo Park
on Jan 31, 2016 at 9:15 am

I am saddened to hear of Dr. Lee's passing. Growing up during the late 1940s through mid-60s, fortune 'shined upon me' three times. When I required surgeries, two on an emergency basis and one, while planned, was extremely complicated, I was fortunate enough to have Dr. Lee as my surgeon. To this day, some 50 odd years later, I marvel at the fact that my scars are practically non-existent. As a teen-ager I remember being extremely scared and I also remember how he calmed my fears and helped me get through what needed to be done. He saved my life and for that I will always be extremely grateful.