East Palo Alto teen was victim in trailer fire

Original post made on May 9, 2015

He was the "king" of skateboarders in his hometown of East Palo Alto; the young man who always had a smile for everyone. Now family and friends are wondering how his body came to be burned beyond recognition in a trailer at an abandoned hazardous-materials sight.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, May 8, 2015, 10:57 PM

Posted by EPA Resident & Teacher
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 9, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Such a tragedy. Keeping this young man's friends & family in my thoughts and prayers. The skateboarding community seems like a really strong, close-knit family. I'm glad these kids have each other to lean on. Here's an uplifting new video produced by EPAnow on skate culture in East Palo Alto. Web Link

Posted by Teacher
a resident of Menlo Park
on May 9, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Very sad. RIP and I hope their community of friends come together.

Posted by So Sorry
on May 9, 2015 at 10:08 pm

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of this wonderful young man. He is with God now. My prayers are with his family and friends as they learn how to go on without him.

Posted by Broken Hearted Mom
a resident of University South
on May 10, 2015 at 7:33 am

So terribly sad. Recently, I experienced my own loss of a son. My heart aches for this family, especially for this mom. No mother should ever deal with losing a child. May God bless Miguel's family & give them strength during this difficult time.

Posted by EPA Resident
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 10, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Very sad news, and my deepest sympathy for his family and friends. I live in the community and have a special place in my heart for the local skateboarders. I don't know any of them personally, but they always bring a smile to my face when I see them as they as they bring back fond memories of my own youth.

Broken Hearted Mom - My deepest sympathies to you too. Clicking "like" on your post seems inappropriate, but your strength in offering words of comfort here is inspirational.

Posted by Erandy Melendrez
on May 12, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Miguel was a Sophomore not a junior

Posted by My Nguyen
digital editor of Palo Alto Online
on May 15, 2015 at 1:36 pm

My Nguyen is a registered user.

@Erandy Melendrez Thank you for correcting our mistake. I made that change in the story.

Posted by Illuminati
on May 15, 2015 at 8:55 pm

"hazardous-materials sight."

sight : a view; look; glimpse, and a whole bunch of other definitions that aren't sites.

site: location or scene.