How do you give feedback to restaurants?

Original post made by Nick, Downtown North, on Jan 26, 2009

I want to understand how people give feedback to their favorite small business.
Do you take the initiative and ask to talk to the owner or do you just post a review on some site?

Thanks!
Nick

[Portion removed due to promoting a website]

Posted by anonymous
on Jan 26, 2009 at 12:55 pm

You write favorite "small business," then write "restaurant." I am not sure which is your focus.
In either case, I give positive feedback by patronizing the business again and again. I have given a huge amount of business to a particular dry cleaner over the years, for example.
If I have a terrible experience, like I have had at some PA restaurants, then the negative feedback is that I never return there.

Posted by anonymous
on Jan 26, 2009 at 12:57 pm

To elaborate, in my experience complaining at restaurants doesn't really resolve terrible service, so I take my business elsewhere. I certainly have received far superior service in other metropolitan areas in the U.S.

Posted by sally
on Jan 26, 2009 at 1:30 pm

Go back frequently. Get to know the staff. Tell them how much you like the place.

Posted by MidtownMom
on Jan 26, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Is this a genuine "I would like to know" question - or are you trying to get people to go to your website?

Posted by Jenna
a resident of Palo Alto Hills
on Feb 3, 2009 at 6:13 am

I just dont even waste my time giving feedback

Posted by Restauranteur
a resident of University South
on May 30, 2009 at 7:43 am

not sure what the original question and post was as it seems it might have been self-serving, and now dated, but... the best way to give feedback is to actually do it in person to the manager or owner. Some of us will go out of our way to make our business successful and will listen and either politely tell you that you have no idea what you're talking about, or make changes. In my restaurant we remove the food item from the tab if the customer complains (note: it makes us less willing to do that, if there's only a bit of food left and you said nothing the whole time!) Bottom line, open and honest communication.

Get the most important local news stories sent straight to your inbox daily.

How to Buy a Used EV
By Sherry Listgarten | 6 comments | 3,186 views

Gates sets an example for local billionaires to emulate
By Diana Diamond | 5 comments | 1,727 views

Pie Brings People Together

Couples and Premarital: Personal Weather Report (TM)

Tree Lighting Ceremonies
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 855 views

Palo Alto Weekly Holiday Fund

For the last 26 years, the Palo Alto Weekly Holiday Fund has given away more than $7 million to local nonprofits serving children and families. When you make a donation, every dollar is automatically doubled, and 100% of the funds go directly to local programs. It’s a great way to ensure your charitable donations are working at home.

DONATE HERE