Construction upsets College Terrace residents

Original post made on Jun 19, 2008

After enduring eight months of underground construction, frustrated College Terrace residents have submitted a petition criticizing the city and its contractors for inefficiency and unnecessarily disrupting neighborhood life.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, June 19, 2008, 4:30 PM

Posted by Belle
a resident of College Terrace
on Jun 19, 2008 at 5:36 pm

I live on Columbia Street and yes there has been a disruption at times on our street. I think we have had spots on our street dug up 4 different times. One morning I was cooking breakfast (8:30ish) and heard voices was surprised to look out the window to see 4 workers digging up an area next to my house. I was startled and wished I had had a notice of someone working right next to my home versus in the street. That would be my only compliant.

The work needs to be done - let's get it done. These folks have been working hard - give them a break people. It amazes me how much the residents of Palo Alto complain about absolutely everything - its tiring.

Perhaps if we had more tax revenue from say hotels or affordable retail stores then the city could hire a contractor that allows for the road to be torn up once and everything done at the same time instead of piecemeal.

As for all you naysayers welcome to the BMW club - a club for those that $itch, moan and whine.

Posted by Tim
on Jun 19, 2008 at 5:47 pm

I love it. The BMW Club- $itch, moan and whine! It fits about 80% of Palo Alto residents.
Also, your right on about our tax base over the last ten years. Who shops in Palo Alto? Very few. Surounding cities are "kicking our butts" when it comes to keeping our money in Palo alto.

Posted by John
a resident of College Terrace
on Jun 19, 2008 at 8:24 pm

I have lived in College Terrace for over 40 years. My kids were raised here. CT has some speicial issues, because it is sanwiched between Stanford and SRP, such as cut through traffic. However, I am EMBARRASSED at what I am now hearing!

There are some newly-arrived folk who just don't get it. Let me put it straight to ya: The pipes need to get fixed every few decades! Get used to it! Having defended CT, in a variety of ways, I find this current whining very disgusting.

Posted by Let's clean our hands
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jun 19, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Can the rest of us "civilized" and "practical" citizens of Palo Alto set up our own petition to oust College Terrace from the services of the city?

Let's abandon College Terrace and have it go back to an unincorporated area. Residents like Christopher Harris seem to know all about government efficiency and addressing needs of residents... let's let people like him handle College Terrace from now on.

Posted by Newyankee
on Jun 19, 2008 at 11:34 pm

As a long time Palo Alto resident, I am well aware of the need for infrastructure improvement, and quite frankly don’t mind the inconvience. The real issue is…can the city management do the job of getting the work done efficiently and correctly… unfortunately I think not. Some years ago, the gas and sewer system was replaced in Midtown. At my house, the contractors installed the new plastic gas line on top of the water line and only 12” below grade. I complained that I thought it was unsafe, and the official Palo Alto inspector was called in, who approved the work! I did take photos, and later, I discovered that this was a CODE VIOLATION. So Palo Alto crews eventually returned, and completely reinstalled the gas service at a reported cost of $20K to the city. The sewer project was completed, and months later new crews showed up digging around because the Palo Alto inspector didn’t file proper “as built” drawings and no one knew where certain pipes were located. Good luck College Terrace.

Posted by Jim
on Jun 20, 2008 at 6:29 am

Isn't the City supposed to monitor progress on public works in progress?

Maybe the "bargain" contractor the City selected was not such a great choice after all.

Posted by Whiners
a resident of Stanford
on Jun 20, 2008 at 6:31 am

Maybe we need to find a time to do the construction work so that it upsets absolutely no one in College Terrace.

I did not realize that Mr Harris is an expert in utility work, since he seems to know that the work is not being done inefficiently. And poor Ms Rao having her routine disrupted--it is a shame that a College Terrace resident has to have their routine disrupted for the greater good of the city.

I am sure College Terrace will get whatever they want from the city--they always do.

Today there is an article in the Daily Post that residents are not happy with $150000 in traffic calming measures installed 18 months ago. They want changes.

Too bad other city neighborhoods do not get the attention that CT does.

Posted by Infrastructure Needed
a resident of South of Midtown
on Jun 20, 2008 at 11:13 am

Palo Altans are never happy. For months now residents have been complaining about the lack of improvements to infrastructure. Here is a neighborhood that is obviously getting the improvements we've all been asking for and they're complaining!!!!

At this point I feel sorry for the Utility Department who are only doing what we've been asking them to do for months if not years.

If College Terrace doesn't appreciate what they are getting, move the infrastructure improvements to neighborhoods who have been begging for them.

Posted by get over it
on Jun 22, 2008 at 12:07 pm

Is there anything that the neighborhood association in College Terrace doesn't moan about? Go LCOHs and start that petition. You'll get my signature.

Posted by resident
a resident of College Terrace
on Jun 27, 2008 at 12:31 am

to "get over it" and "let's clean our hands":
Just for the record, the neighborhood association had nothing to do with Christopher Harris's petition. And your nasty remarks ignore the previous commenters on this list from College Terrace which do not fit your negative stereotype!

Most of us have not been whining, and didn't sign the petition. But the 9 months of heavy equipment and torn up streets does make many residents wonder if it couldn't have been planned and executed better.

Burger chain Shake Shack to open in Palo Alto