Splendor in the glass

Original post made on Mar 9, 2008

Stained-glass artist Judy Miller had a determination that took her places -- distances so far that her work is said to be in more than a thousand homes on four continents.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, May 11, 2007, 12:00 AM

Posted by Rebecca Hoffmann
on Mar 9, 2008 at 11:55 pm

Being a stained glass artist myself, I have many pattern books by Judy Miller. I had no idea of her passing and its very sad to know that yet another talented artist as herself is gone. However this thought,"She will always carey on by contributing to this world pieces of beautiful stained glass that will live long after she has." is the same as I feel and think when my time comes to pass. Its all anyone can hope for, that you are remembered because its so easey as time goes on that you are forgotten. I originally sought out to find information on how to publish a stained glass pattern book of my drawings, instead I've been privileged to give my condolances to a fellow glass artist. Thankyou and God Bless!
From Rebecca Hoffmann of Fanatical Stained Glass in Penryn, California

Posted by Marcia Guzzetta
on Sep 13, 2010 at 3:11 pm

I just now (9/13/2010) read this article about Judy Miller. I had no idea what a truly amazing artist she was, really, except that I treasure one of her patterns (7. Parrot with grape) that I purchased for $1.95 way back in the eighties at a neat little glass store (alas, no longer in existence)called Almaden Stained Glass, located in the Cambrian area of San Jose. I took my first lesson in stained glass at ASG, and Ms. Miller's parrot pattern was my first project on my own. It still hangs in my kitchen and brings me joy every single day. Thank you, Judy Miller.

Posted by John Lenihan
on Jun 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I was really into stained glass in the early 80's and purchased a Judy Miller pattern book. I completed the "HMS Bounty" piece and it turned out beautiful. I still have it hanging in front of a window and receive many compliments from people who see it for the first time. I'm ready to get back to the stained glass craft and although the Judy Miller book I have is from 1979 there are still many nice patterns available. Thank you Judy Miller for sharing your artistic abilities with us. My condolences to your family and God bless.

Posted by Vilma ES
on Aug 2, 2014 at 3:03 am

I learned how to work with stained glass in the late 1980s - long before the internet came into existence. At the time you had to rely on books for ideas. My favorite publication has always been Judy Miller's "House Tours" which features pieces in her own home. I recently leafed through this publication again and decided to research "Judy Miller" online. I was saddened to learn that she passed away several years ago and that I missed an exhibit of her work. She was truly an artist who created amazing works, especially considering that no one would teach her the medium because she was a woman. Some of my favorites are the 9 large windows she made for her spa depicting different bird designs. The patterns can still be found online: JMPS #9 to #16 (#8 is out of print but can still be seen online).

Posted by Name hidden
a resident of Barron Park School

on Jun 5, 2017 at 9:11 am

Due to repeated violations of our Terms of Use, comments from this poster are automatically removed. Why?

Mademoiselle Colette opens second location in Palo Alto

I AM THE GOD OF HELL FIRE AND I BRING YOU

Couples: Initiators and Implementors
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 667 views

Are We Really Up To This?
By Aldis Petriceks | 1 comment | 510 views