As pizza should be

Original post made on Nov 6, 2007

Pizza is everywhere. Good pizza is not. But since finding the good stuff sometimes requires precious time out of our busy lives, we may settle for greasy, flat slabs of flavorless goo. As the cheese hits our stomachs, we're mollified, for a time.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, November 2, 2007, 12:00 AM

Posted by Pat
a resident of Palo Verde
on Nov 6, 2007 at 12:12 pm

Thanks to the review of Maldanado Pizza restaurant a friend of mine and I will visit tonight. Though more costly than Round Table, we are willing to pay in order to find pride of ownership and an out of the ordinary pizza. Thank you . . . we've been looking for a better pizza since El Camino Round Table closed.

Pat

Posted by Lance Briggs
on Nov 6, 2007 at 5:22 pm

I would love to see Zachary's open up a joint here in Palo Alto or Mountain View. As a native Chicagoan, I will testify that Zachary's is the "real deal" in terms of Chicago Style pizza. Every other California Chicago style isn't really Chicago-style at all, in my opinion. I enjoy the decor of Pizza Chicago, and I do appreciate that they have Vienna Beef hot dogs, but the pizza consistantly dissapoints me, and even if it tasted better, it still wouldn't be Chicago style.
Its hard to think of excuses to drive from here to Berkeley, but I just might have to again some time.
Go Bears - the Chicago football Bears (the only REAL Bears)

Posted by Yum Yum
on Nov 6, 2007 at 5:31 pm

The best pizza I have ever had was in the pizzerias in Italy. The smell of yeast from the dough being mixed and tossed as you enter the place and then the smell of the charcoal burning in the real brick pizza ovens makes your taste buds go into overtime before you even see your pizza. The charcoal brick pizza ovens give the pizza a flavor you just don't get on the gas burning conveyer belts here.

Posted by Kathy
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Nov 7, 2007 at 7:48 pm

I wish that North Beach pizza would venture further south than San Mateo. When I'm up that way, I often stop in and bring home their traditional, cheesy, wonderful pizzas, which the whole family loves.

A completely different style of pizza that I also love is Pizza Antiqua at Santana Row. Extremely thin and crispy, this pizza is almost more flatbread than pizza, but it's also awesome.

Now I'm hungry - !

Posted by hank
on Nov 8, 2007 at 7:41 pm

There is one real Chicago style deep dish pizza place in PA, its the Patxi's off university ave.

check it out and they have a website.

Posted by sara
on Nov 26, 2007 at 5:30 pm

deep dish pizza is the worst food choice next to china takeout for anyone remotely concerned about health

deep dish pizza can easily have 2000 calories per serving with mounds of artery clogging fat

Posted by Epicure
a resident of Community Center
on Nov 26, 2007 at 5:43 pm

sara, everything in moderation. One pound of carrots can really mess with one's estrogen levels. Who eats a whole pizza, anyway?