Oh My God - I sound just like my mother !!

Original post made by OhMyGodIAmMyMother, Ohlone School, on May 3, 2007

When we were growing up, like most kids, we *hated* veggies .. our mother used to come up with tricks every other day to make us eat our share of veggies (no, french fries were not considered a "vegetable" by her - even though we argued they were made out of potato , which qualified as a "root" ). When everything else failed, she used to put her "mom's foot down" and we had to eat the veggies that were on our place.

I recall me and my sisters muttering - we will *never* to this to our children .. guess what, 28yrs later, yesterday, I found myself trying to arrange a "Face" using carrots & peas. When that didn't work, I tried to come up with a game - which failed too and finally, I found myself saying 'I am putting my special 'mom's' foot down' ... Oh My God ! I never thougth I would be saying this ever !!! I called my mom immediately :)

With the mother's day approaching - would you like to share some anecdotes which made you pause and think "oh my god, I am my mother" ! ? I am a new mom and I, for one, would be really interested in these ...

Posted by Carol
a resident of Palo Verde
on May 3, 2007 at 9:30 pm

I am sure that there are more, but the one that strikes me is when I tell my daughter "Get your nose out of a book and go outside and get some fresh air and exercise!" She takes after me by reading anything she can get her hands on.

Posted by Diane
on May 4, 2007 at 4:53 pm

I never thought I would tell my children, "because I said so." But I did - and thought it was a pretty darned good reason!

Posted by Resident
on May 5, 2007 at 8:00 am

How about : " If you are bored, I have some housechores that you can do for me"
Great magic cure for boredom in kids, and the first time I said it I cracked up.

Or, my mom used to say " I am cold, go put on your sweater". Another shocking thing to say!

Posted by Resident
on May 5, 2007 at 8:04 am

Oh yes. Another one

" This is not a democracy, now do what I said!"

Oh my God! I just remembered my most recent. I never thought I would tell any of my kids this one, and I just said it to my teen " Just wait 'till you have a teenager!"

I surprised myself so much that I cracked up, which broke the tension, and made my teen laugh when I explained why.

Posted by Resident of CA
a resident of Green Acres
on May 9, 2007 at 3:29 pm

I recall my mother guiding me and directing me, inwhich I was some what reluctant to her demands, but now I catch myself saying the same things my mother & father used to say to me. It's something when everything you say & do will come right back on you and that's when it hits you, " My mother used to tell me the same thing". Now I see what she was talking about.

Neighborhoods

Posted by Carolyn
on May 13, 2007 at 9:35 am

I remember a night when I finally realized that my mother wasn't actually born at the kitchen sink washing dishes: I always dried as she washed, and when we were finished one night I said (with shocking teenage impudence) "You could say thank you!" She rarely raised her voice, and didn't even then as she replied indignantly "Well who thanks me?!?"

What a revelation! Guilt forever.