The history of sound | May 27, 2011 | Palo Alto Weekly | Palo Alto Online |

Palo Alto Weekly

Arts & Entertainment - May 27, 2011

The history of sound

Stanford Archive of Recorded Sound holds thousands of artifacts, from Edison's wax cylinders to digital files

by Rebecca Wallace

To the Stanford student pausing between classes to listen to her favorite song, sound is as small and simple as a pair of white earbuds and an iPod shorter than her thumb.

This story contains 1287 words.

Stories older than 90 days are available only to subscribing members. Please help sustain quality local journalism by becoming a subscribing member today.

If you are already a subscriber, please log in so you can continue to enjoy unlimited access to stories and archives. Subscriptions start at $5 per month and may be cancelled at any time.

Log in     Subscribe


Like this comment
Posted by Allen B. Veaner
a resident of another community
on May 28, 2011 at 10:15 am

My early connection to Stanford's Archive of Recorded Sound was with Garrett Bowles, former music librarian. That was in the 1960s and 1970s when I was Assistant Director of SUL. I would like to find a good home for my personal collection of recordings and plan to contact Jerry McBride to see what can be arranged. All my recordings have been played only on professional quality transcription hardware--never on record changers. Some of my LPs date from 1948, the year when long playing records started. I also have a small number of 78 rpm discs in good condition. Somewhere I have a complete listing of everything.

Every good wish for success of Stanford's Archive of Recorded Sound.

Allen B. Veaner

Like this comment
Posted by Ralph Hansen
a resident of Stanford
on May 28, 2011 at 4:39 pm

There was an Archives of Recoded Sound Committee. I was appointed to it because of my position as Head of the Acquisitions Department. We were supposed to help Ed Colby in anyway we could. It consisted of Ed. myself and an English professor, whose name escapes me. William Moran may have been on the committee in absentia and he rarely attended our noon time meetings.There was relatively little we could do since the Archives was not funded and donations came through the efforts of Bill and a few friends. One interesting acquisition was from an opera singing who lived in San Francisco. I drove the Acquisition Department truck, my VW Van, to San Francisco and returned with a load that tested the metal of the Van.

Other than such occasional forays my contribution to the Archives was minimal. The Committee would meet monthly in the library staff lounge at noon. We tried eating our lunch while Bill and the anonymous English professors would do all in their power to keep us laughing rather than eating. It was a great time and I enjoyed my non-contribution.

What a great time it was.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.