Timeline: 40 years of news

The events and issues that defined Palo Alto over a generation

Looking back at history through the lens of news coverage reveals the contours of a community: historic events that defined an era, ideas that rose and then fell away, movements that seized people's collective imagination and created change, annual traditions that marked the passage of time.

The Palo Alto Weekly, like all locally rooted news organizations, has borne witness to all of these things. Over the past 40 years, our reporters, photographers and editors have chronicled moments in time both small — the arrival of a new Barron Park donkey — and large, such as local residents' reactions to the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

We've compiled an interactive timeline that can be viewed here to represent those distinct strands of community life. It was a difficult task to decide what to include and what to leave out. When possible, we looked for news that had consequences beyond the initial event. We hope you enjoy taking the time to reflect on where we've been as a city — and where we might be going.

Related content:

This article is part of the Palo Alto Weekly's 40th Anniversary edition. Click on the links below to read the complete package:

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support Palo Alto Online for as little as $5/month.

Learn more

The price of 'paradise': Palo Altans love their hometown, but the stress of living in the heart of Silicon Valley is growing

Block by block: Longtime and new residents living in four neighborhoods share their outlooks on living in Palo Alto

Survival of the nimblest: For locally owned businesses, the biggest challenge is finding the right employees

Editorial: Why our next 40 years depends on you

VIDEO: 'When I think about Palo Alto...'

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Follow Palo Alto Online and the Palo Alto Weekly on Twitter @paloaltoweekly, Facebook and on Instagram @paloaltoonline for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Timeline: 40 years of news

The events and issues that defined Palo Alto over a generation

by / Palo Alto Weekly

Uploaded: Fri, Oct 11, 2019, 6:52 am
Updated: Fri, Oct 18, 2019, 8:27 am

Related content:

Editorial: Why our next 40 years depends on you

VIDEO: 'When I think about Palo Alto...'

Comments

Gimmee
another community
on Oct 11, 2019 at 10:45 am
Gimmee, another community
on Oct 11, 2019 at 10:45 am
11 people like this

Make sure you give your money to bill Johnson, as he launches his new "gimmee money" campaign. If you don't, how will the weekly be able to support the Palo alto elite. They surely will not give any money as Johnson is their toady- they command, he obeys and writes the stories they want.

your call
Green Acres
on Oct 11, 2019 at 11:40 am
your call, Green Acres
on Oct 11, 2019 at 11:40 am
21 people like this

Support local journalism - whether this paper, the regionals, a national with local coverage, whatever. You can support them digitally or old school newsprint.

No one else will track the miscreants.

Or don't support journalism, and guys like @gimmee win. Dark money and dark deeds will thrive.

your call
Green Acres
on Oct 11, 2019 at 2:53 pm
your call, Green Acres
on Oct 11, 2019 at 2:53 pm

Cool, thanks. So we have two viewpoints:

1. support journalism as the 4th estate, part of checks and balances

2. someone with a vendetta against a local paper's editor, using name-calling, etc..

Thanks again for sharing your view.

Gimmee
another community
on Oct 11, 2019 at 3:49 pm
Gimmee, another community
on Oct 11, 2019 at 3:49 pm
10 people like this

Your call - just employing the same techniques that the weekly uses in their one sided stories and editorials and in their selective editing of comments on TSF that are critical of the people that Johnson is serving.
Now can bill count on you for a $10,000 donation?

your call
Green Acres
on Oct 11, 2019 at 6:28 pm
your call, Green Acres
on Oct 11, 2019 at 6:28 pm

Whine, whine, whine. As my math teacher used to say: "show your work."

You have lots of complaints - show us: "employing the same techniques".

Links.

Jane Brooks
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 11, 2019 at 7:59 pm
Jane Brooks, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 11, 2019 at 7:59 pm
6 people like this

Two anonymous posters:

* One espouses a free press
* Another calls the editor a toadie

Uh-huh.

your call
Green Acres
on Oct 12, 2019 at 7:31 am
your call, Green Acres
on Oct 12, 2019 at 7:31 am
18 people like this

I'm okay with anonymous trash comments in an open forum being deleted - their sandbox, their rules. Just ask Dougie M, it's a sign he lost his argument, even with his verbosity. re: your blog - it is your representation of what you claim others have posted - okay.

That's not what I replied to, however:

"just employing the same techniques that the weekly uses in their one sided stories and editorials"

I asked for a list of one-sided stories. Editorials are just that - opinions. I frequently detest opinion pieces in the NYT. Doesn't mean I don't support the reporters at NYT, WSJ, etc.. Yes, even they make mistakes, of course.

Gimmee
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 12, 2019 at 9:04 am
Gimmee, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 12, 2019 at 9:04 am
16 people like this

Your call - you hit the nail right on the head regarding dougie m.
You want one sided stories-- coverage of the children's theater scandal, Karen Holman finders fee scandal, buena Vista trailer park owner, Persky recall, just to name a few. All have a common denominator--think placating someone.this is my opinion. If you are for free press as you claim, then you have to support my criticism of Johnson and his "gimmee money" machine called the weekly.

Local journos
Greater Miranda
on Oct 13, 2019 at 6:39 pm
Local journos, Greater Miranda
on Oct 13, 2019 at 6:39 pm
11 people like this

We have to support local journalism. What's the alternative? Fox? MSNBC?

Love it or hate it, gotta have it.

musical
Palo Verde
on Oct 14, 2019 at 1:05 am
musical, Palo Verde
on Oct 14, 2019 at 1:05 am

Nature abhors a vacuum.

MVresident2003
Registered user
Mountain View
on Oct 14, 2019 at 9:34 am
MVresident2003, Mountain View
Registered user
on Oct 14, 2019 at 9:34 am
12 people like this

As I have said to Bill and staff several times I would be glad to support the paper except that I am frequently censored in a highly biased manner. Several times comments have been deleted and when I ask for explanation they are unable to substantiate being against terms....they just don’t like what I say.

Why would I support a paper that doesn’t allow my views or comments?

use it or lose it
Duveneck/St. Francis
on Oct 14, 2019 at 11:27 am
use it or lose it, Duveneck/St. Francis
on Oct 14, 2019 at 11:27 am

> Why would I support a paper that doesn’t allow my views or comments?

Because you use it?

Your saner comments stick; I've seen some of the ones that didn't - are you really surprised? iirc, even DM deleted some of yours, and he's pretty much reading from the same playbook as you.

Glad to pay
Greenmeadow
on Oct 18, 2019 at 1:12 pm
Glad to pay, Greenmeadow
on Oct 18, 2019 at 1:12 pm
8 people like this

Journalism is a service that I am glad to pay for. If newspapers aren't well-funded by subscribers, we will lose them. I'd miss the Weekly--as well as other papers I subscribe to.

I wish they'd delete this comment board...or at least require people to use their names. The rude and hostile tone of discourse here is truly appalling. I bet people would behave more like adults if they had to own their comments.

I'm not using my name because I know I will get blasted for saying this. I'll use my name if you'll use yours.

Gimmee
another community
on Oct 18, 2019 at 2:28 pm
Gimmee, another community
on Oct 18, 2019 at 2:28 pm
4 people like this

[Post removed.]

Madelyn Alton
Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 19, 2019 at 7:40 am
Madelyn Alton, Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Oct 19, 2019 at 7:40 am

" Why would I support a paper that doesn’t allow my views or comments?

Because you use it?"

Fabulous answer. Shocked that the poster is occasionally censored, just shocked.

irony
Adobe-Meadow
on Oct 19, 2019 at 8:49 am
irony, Adobe-Meadow
on Oct 19, 2019 at 8:49 am
3 people like this

I wonder if the Weekly was willing to be transparent and open up its finances to show the good people of out town exactly where the money was being spent?

Gimmee
another community
on Oct 19, 2019 at 5:11 pm
Gimmee, another community
on Oct 19, 2019 at 5:11 pm
3 people like this

Irony- good idea though I doubt it would happen. From the continuous emails demanding money and the anniversary issue, one would Think the weekly is running a deficit. If course some people think the weekly has the community's best interests at heart

Twins of the 4th estate
Midtown
on Oct 20, 2019 at 7:38 am
Twins of the 4th estate, Midtown
on Oct 20, 2019 at 7:38 am

"wonder if the Weekly was willing to be transparent and open up its finances"

Makes sense.

Support journalism. All journalism matters.

irony
Adobe-Meadow
on Oct 20, 2019 at 10:17 am
irony, Adobe-Meadow
on Oct 20, 2019 at 10:17 am
1 person likes this

"I guess since we are posting here, we should show our finances as well, of course!"

Only if we were asking for money.

It sure behove those asking for donations from the people of this fair town to be able to show any donations were both needed and would be well spent.

AN
Adobe-Meadow
on Oct 20, 2019 at 6:17 pm
AN, Adobe-Meadow
on Oct 20, 2019 at 6:17 pm
1 person likes this

@Gimmee,

Your censored comment can be found (before being censored) on the page I dedicated on my blog to the ongoing censoring.
I copy and then post comments before and after they are censored (only a tiny sampling) here:
Web Link (or search for: village fool palo alto before and after).
I may add another comment of yours which vanished shortly after the thread was posted.

BTW, You are in good company! Here's sampling of censored quotes. I titled this blog post:
What do Mark Twain, George Bernard Shaw, George Orwell, Miguel De Cervantes, and Shakespeare have in common? All were censored by the PA online.
Link: Web Link (or search for: village fool palo alto twain Shaw Orwell have in common)

Yours,

VililAge FoO000oo00l

Momma Quix
College Terrace
on Oct 20, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Momma Quix, College Terrace
on Oct 20, 2019 at 8:09 pm
1 person likes this

"What do Mark Twain, George Bernard Shaw, George Orwell, Miguel De Cervantes, and Shakespeare have in common?"

Someone is really 'tilting at windmills'.

The peeps that hate this paper seem to be here a lot!