This list covers which local agencies will be offering limited or regular services on Martin Luther King Jr. Day on Monday, Jan. 21, in addition to information on events honoring the civil rights leader in the Palo Alto area.
• Palo Alto libraries: All branches will be closed Monday, Jan. 21.
• City of Palo Alto: All administrative offices will be closed on Monday, Jan. 21.
• U.S. Postal Service: Post office locations nationwide will be closed Monday, Jan. 21.
• Caltrain: Caltrain will operate a regular weekday schedule on Monday, Jan. 21, and will also offer a NorCalMLK Celebration Train to the MLK Day celebration events in San Francisco on Monday. The train is free, but participants are advised to reserve their tickets in advance and pick them up from their point of departure one hour before travel on Monday. The Celebration Train will depart from the Diridon station in San Jose at 9:45 a.m., then stop at the Palo Alto station at 10:05 a.m. and San Mateo station at 10:25 a.m. before finally stopping in San Francisco. There will be live entertainment on board. For more information, go to eventbrite.com.
• SamTrans: SamTrans will run a regular, non-school day service schedule on Monday, Jan. 21. For more information, go to samtrans.com.
• Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority: VTA will run a regular service schedule on Monday, Jan. 21. For more information, go to vta.org.
Things to do:
• Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service: The city of Palo Alto and Youth Community Services will host a Day of Service on Monday, Jan. 21, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Mitchell Park Community Center, 3700 Middlefield Road in Palo Alto. There will also be guest speakers, kids activities, live performances, an MLK legacy display and on-site service opportunities. For more information, go to cityofpaloalto.org.
• Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service and East Palo Alto Mayor's Tree Planting: For the fourth time, the city of East Palo Alto will host a day of service in partnership with nonprofit tree organization Canopy on Monday, Jan. 21, from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Martin Luther King Park, 435 Daisy Lane in East Palo Alto. Sign up for volunteer work at canopy.org.
• Mitzvah Day: The Oshman Family Jewish Community Center will host its 12th annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service on Monday, Jan. 21, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Oshman Family Jewish Community Center, 3921 Fabian Way in Palo Alto. Volunteers work on hands-on projects aimed at addressing issues such as homelessness, aging, the environment and more. The event is filling up fast, according to organizers. Sign up at paloaltojcc.org.
• Martin Luther King Jr. Day Interfaith Celebration and Prayer Walk: First Palo Alto United Methodist Church will host an afternoon community celebration with a guest speaker, speeches and choral performances on Sunday, Jan. 20, at 3 p.m at the church's sanctuary, 625 Hamilton Ave. Visitors who want to sing with the Volunteer Interfaith Community Choir should arrive early for rehearsal. The prayer walk on Monday, Jan. 21 at 10 a.m. will convene at Crossroads Community Church, 2490 Middlefield Road for a reflection followed by a 1.6-mile walk with stops for prayer along the way. Participants will cross the pedestrian bridge over U.S. Highway 101 and end at the Baylands Athletic Center at 1900 Geng Road. For more information, go to firstpaloalto.com.
If you would like to see your event featured on this list, send an email to email@example.com.
Follow the Palo Alto Weekly/Palo Alto Online on Twitter @PaloAltoWeekly and Facebook for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.