News

Small fire at Opportunity Center displaces seven

Blaze caused by unattended cooking oil on hot plate

Seven residents were displaced by a kitchen fire at the Opportunity Center in Palo Alto on Saturday evening that resulted in significant water damage, a fire official said.

Crews responded to the 88-unit affordable housing complex, located at 33 Encina Ave., around 5:30 p.m. where a fire was reported on a second-floor unit, Deputy Fire Chief Catherine Capriles said.

Sprinkler heads extinguished the fire by the time crews were at the scene and residents had already evacuated, she said.

The fire was caused by unattended cooking oil on a hot plate, according to Capriles.

Residents in the involved unit and others below were displaced by the blaze, which left a significant amount of water damage, she said. The American Red Cross was called to assist seven people.

What's local journalism worth to you?

Support Palo Alto Online for as little as $5/month.

Learn more

The fire left an estimated $50,000 to $60,000 in damage, Capriles said. No injuries were reported.

Stay informed

Get daily headlines sent straight to your inbox.

Sign up

Follow Palo Alto Online and the Palo Alto Weekly on Twitter @paloaltoweekly, Facebook and on Instagram @paloaltoonline for breaking news, local events, photos, videos and more.

Small fire at Opportunity Center displaces seven

Blaze caused by unattended cooking oil on hot plate

by / Palo Alto Weekly

Uploaded: Tue, Dec 12, 2017, 9:32 am

Seven residents were displaced by a kitchen fire at the Opportunity Center in Palo Alto on Saturday evening that resulted in significant water damage, a fire official said.

Crews responded to the 88-unit affordable housing complex, located at 33 Encina Ave., around 5:30 p.m. where a fire was reported on a second-floor unit, Deputy Fire Chief Catherine Capriles said.

Sprinkler heads extinguished the fire by the time crews were at the scene and residents had already evacuated, she said.

The fire was caused by unattended cooking oil on a hot plate, according to Capriles.

Residents in the involved unit and others below were displaced by the blaze, which left a significant amount of water damage, she said. The American Red Cross was called to assist seven people.

The fire left an estimated $50,000 to $60,000 in damage, Capriles said. No injuries were reported.

Comments

Post a comment

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.