News

Atherton home fire caused by fireplace ashes, district says

Damage estimated at $55,000

Menlo Park Fire Protection District officials say that a fire at a home on Selby Lane in Atherton early Thursday morning, Jan. 5, appears to have been caused by a cardboard box of fireplace ashes placed on a patio table next to the house days earlier.

Firefighters quickly put out the fire involving a garage and deck, but it spread to the exterior of the two-story home caused an estimated $50,000 in structural damage and $5,000 in damage to property.

"It also isn't the first time we've seen this type of incident," Chief Harold Schapelhouman said. Fireplace ash should be removed periodically, placed in a metal can and soaked in water, he said.

"The good news is the fire was discovered early, damage is minimal and no one in the home was injured," he said.

The homeowners reported the fire to county dispatchers at 2:26 a.m. and Menlo Park Fire Protection District firefighters arrived by 2:32 a.m. Chief Schapelhouman said.

All the residents had evacuated by the time firefighters arrived, he said.

The fire was "knocked down" by 2:42 a.m., the chief said, but it had charred the exterior of the residential structure up to the second story eve line, so firefighters checked to make sure it hadn't gotten into the home's attic and walls.

The district responded with five engines, a ladder truck and two battalion chiefs, with 21 total responders.

"It appears that the homeowner found the fire just in time and the quick response of the firefighters and knock down of the fire kept this from being a much worse situation," Chief Schapelhouman said.

"We are thankful that no one in the home was injured," Battalion Chief Ben Marra said.

The chief said the last unit left the scene at 5:02 a.m.

Comments

There are no comments yet. Please share yours below.

Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Choose a category: *

Since this is the first comment on this story a new topic will also be started in Town Square! Please choose a category that best describes this story.

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Food Party! 420
By Laura Stec | 6 comments | 1,862 views

What Are Your Gifts that Must Be Shared?
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 901 views

 

Best Of Palo Alto ballot is here

It's time to decide what local business is worthy of the title "Best Of Palo Alto" — and you get to decide! Cast your ballot online. Voting ends May 29th. Stay tuned for the results in the July 21st issue of the Palo Alto Weekly.

VOTE HERE