The cause of a fire that gutted a home in Palo Alto Wednesday night and displaced a family, is being labelled as undetermined, according to Deputy Fire Chief Catherine Capriles.
The fire may have been electrical, she said.
No one was injured in the incident, according to firefighters. The couple and son that live in the house declined help from the American Red Cross, Capriles said, and are with family members in Mountain View.
Crews from the Palo Alto and Mountain View fire departments responded to a one-story home burning in the 500 block of Maybell Avenue at 9:52 p.m.
Firefighters arrived on scene at 9:56 p.m. and had the fire under control by 10:24 p.m.
Jonathan Alvarez, who lives across the street and saw the house engulfed in flames, said he heard the sounds of windows breaking and someone yelling for help.
"My cousin went to go check what was happening and it was a fire, so he told me to call the police and I did. They told me that they were already on their way," he said.
The flames, he said, were at least 20 to 30 feet high.
An elderly man and woman who live in the house, he said, were able to make it out on their own. His cousin took them to his house while fire crews knocked down the fire. The couple has since left, Alvarez said.
"I believe their family members came and picked them up," he said.
The damage was substantial, Alvarez said.
"All you can see (now) is the burned garage and nothing in the middle. There (is) no roof or walls where the house used to be. Just ... the house's frame," he said.
Alvarez said he hopes the neighborhood can rally and help the people who lost their home. They have lived there for at least 15 years, he said.
"I think the best thing that the community could do is help start a fundraiser to help pay for the damages," he said. "I'm just glad they made it out fine and that the fire did not spread."