Stanford's Cartwright out with fractured forearm | News | Palo Alto Online |

Sports

Stanford's Cartwright out with fractured forearm

 
In order for all area residents to have important local information on the coronavirus health emergency, Palo Alto Online has lifted its pay meter and is providing unlimited access to its website. We need your support to continue our important work. Please join your neighbors and become a subscribing member today.

Sophomore guard Robert Cartwright sustained a compound fracture in his forearm during a routine drill on Monday and will be lost indefinitely, Stanford men's basketball coach Johnny Dawkins said Tuesday.

Cartwright, expected to be the Cardinal's starting point guard, is the latest causality for Stanford, which will likely start the season without Marcus Allen, Malcolm Allen and Grant Verhoeven as well.

"He lost his balance going through traffic and landed funny," said Dawkins, who spent time with Cartwright at the hospital Monday night and Tuesday morning. "It was a routine play. It shows you how fragile our sport is."

Cartwright averaged 1.9 points and 0.9 rebounds a year ago. He was replacing Chasson Randle, who set a school record for all-time 3-pointers last year in helping Stanford win the NIT title.

Christian Sanders is the likely replacement and could share the job with freshman Cameron Walker.

Malcolm Allen appears to be the closest to returning to the lineup. He has been participating in practice in a limited role.

Marcus Allen and Verhoeven could return in December. Dawkins would not speculate on Cartwright's timeline.

Stanford, picked to finish ninth in the Pac-12, opens the season at home on Friday, Nov. 13 against Wisconsin-Green Bay as part of the NIT Season Tip-Off.

In related news, Pasadena Maranatha senior Trevor Stanback, 6-10, committed to Stanford on Monday according to a report by The Bootleg.

We need your support now more than ever. Can we count on you?

Comments

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Stay up to date on local coronavirus coverage with our daily news digest email.

Food Safety and Coronavirus: A Comprehensive Guide
By Laura Stec | 11 comments | 30,452 views

These local restaurants are donating meals to Bay Area residents in need. Here's how to help.
By Elena Kadvany | 6 comments | 11,087 views

Coronavirus: Plan ahead now for a big outbreak
By Diana Diamond | 19 comments | 4,099 views

Will the Coronavirus Save Lives?
By Sherry Listgarten | 29 comments | 3,864 views

How COVID-19 Affects Communities
By Jessica Zang | 14 comments | 1,225 views

 

DEADLINE EXTENDED

The 34th Annual Palo Alto Weekly Short Story Contest is now accepting entries for Adult, Young Adult and Teen categories. Send us your short story (2,500 words or less) and entry form by April 10, 2020. First, Second and Third Place prizes awarded in each category. Sponsored by Kepler's Books, Linden Tree Books and Bell's Books.

Contest Details