Fire destroys remote Baylands boat house

A boat house at Cooley Landing in East Palo Alto, caught fire on Monday night, bringing four fire engines, two battalion chiefs and a fire truck to squelch the blaze in the remote Baylands.

Menlo Park firefighters arrived at 2001 Bay Road at 9:18 p.m. to find the entire structure, an abandoned boat house, completely engulfed in flames, Battalion Chief Mike Shaffer said.

"It pancake-collapsed before we were able to put water on it. It burned all the way to the ground," he said.

The structure was surrounded by a chain-link fence and was situated beside San Francisco Bay.

The fire scorched 20 feet of vegetation outside the fence, but Shaffer said it did not threaten the Baylands.

Firefighters spent nearly five hours cutting through the collapsed structure to douse hot spots, he said.

The cause of the blaze is unknown and is under investigation.

Comments

Posted by Suspishun
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Aug 14, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Somebody wanted this structure to "go away"

Posted by -----
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I guess that's what they get for the ugly remodel and ribbon cutting ceremony. Unfortunate. It was much nicer before.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Aug 16, 2013 at 7:29 pm

----- Are you talking about the one at the PA Baylands? I don't think the one in EPA had been redone yet. IIRC, it was going to be fixed up & used for educational purposes. I wonder now what the plan will be.

Posted by -----
a resident of Adobe-Meadow
on Aug 16, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I meant the drab new landscaping

Posted by Sharon
on Aug 16, 2013 at 8:26 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Resident
on Nov 28, 2013 at 2:07 pm

This is amazing. I was there and saw kids set fire to it. I was the person that called it in on 911. Then two days later I called the police and they said they ruled out arson as a cause. I said, "Are you serious? I saw someone light it on fire." They still said they ruled out arson. This begins to describe some of the issues in East Palo Alto. If the police and fire officials can't admit this, what will they admit?

Eat, Surf, Love
By Laura Stec | 2 comments | 962 views

Couples: So You Married Mom or Dad . . .
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 961 views