Town Square

Burning leaves catch house, neighbor's house on fire

Original post made on Jun 15, 2013

Leaves under a barbecue left unattended at a Palo Alto home on Saturday afternoon caught on fire, causing minimal damage to the home and neighboring home's garages.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Saturday, June 15, 2013, 5:24 PM


Posted by danielle, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Jun 15, 2013 at 9:45 pm

who leaves their home with a lit barbecue?

Posted by charges, a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Jun 15, 2013 at 10:50 pm

Is this criminal negligence or are the cops just going to let the insurance companies work it out?

Posted by Reading Is Fundamental, a resident of another community
on Jun 16, 2013 at 8:18 am

"who leaves their home with a lit barbecue?

Who said that the resident left the house? The grill was "left unattended." That could mean anything from going to the kitchen, watching TV, cleaning out the garage, washing the car, etc. The officials did not state that the residents actually left the property.

Many grillers walk away from their grills waiting for the charcoal to catch fire.

"Is this criminal negligence or are the cops just going to let the insurance companies work it out?"

Based on acting chief Blakeley's testimony "It was pretty unremarkable," it seems highly unlikely that there was any criminal negligence involved.

Posted by Mike, a resident of University South
on Jun 16, 2013 at 8:27 am

The article doesn't say whether it's charcoal or propane.

Posted by Hmmm, a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jun 16, 2013 at 10:53 am

For the rest of us, this is a good reminder to keep all areas around our gas or charcoal grills clear of any debris. I'm so glad that no one was hurt & the damage wasn't worse. How frightening for those involved!

Posted by anonymous, a resident of Downtown North
on Jun 16, 2013 at 3:28 pm

The house may not have a working stove inside. Or other utilities. The house is in ill-repair with what appears to be old earthquake damage, and outside there are non-running vehicles and piles of rubbish. There used to be an elderly woman living there. Who knows where she is now. Strange people come and go at night. Wish police or adult protective services would look into it.

Posted by Mr.Recycle, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Jun 17, 2013 at 12:04 am

Take a look at the place with google street view. What a dump! I feel bad for the neighbors. It is lucky the whole place didn't go up in flames.

Posted by CrescentParkAnon., a resident of Crescent Park
on Jun 18, 2013 at 11:56 am

Not a really great idea to put a grill on an area that has flammable stuff around it, even a deck in my opinion. I always put mine on concrete or cement, or if nothing else a green lawn.

The oddest things can happen where fire is concerned. You never know what is going to happen. I was cleaning out the garage on day and was interrupted in the middle of it -eventually distracted with to things. Walking by the area later I smelled smoke. Walked around and around and turned out a reflective piece of glass from something I had taken out of the garage and put in the sun had caught the sun just right and tracking a big burn spot across the bottom of a table nearby. The scorch was bad enough that it could have caught fire. Damndest thing I ever saw. Heard this can happen with bottles too or even vases of water of a certain shape.

Fire's a clever little devil, ya gotta be careful with it! ;-)