Post a New Topic
Original post made
on Jun 15, 2013
who leaves their home with a lit barbecue?
Is this criminal negligence or are the cops just going to let the insurance companies work it out?
"who leaves their home with a lit barbecue?
Who said that the resident left the house? The grill was "left unattended." That could mean anything from going to the kitchen, watching TV, cleaning out the garage, washing the car, etc. The officials did not state that the residents actually left the property.
Many grillers walk away from their grills waiting for the charcoal to catch fire.
"Is this criminal negligence or are the cops just going to let the insurance companies work it out?"
Based on acting chief Blakeley's testimony "It was pretty unremarkable," it seems highly unlikely that there was any criminal negligence involved.
The article doesn't say whether it's charcoal or propane.
For the rest of us, this is a good reminder to keep all areas around our gas or charcoal grills clear of any debris. I'm so glad that no one was hurt & the damage wasn't worse. How frightening for those involved!
The house may not have a working stove inside. Or other utilities. The house is in ill-repair with what appears to be old earthquake damage, and outside there are non-running vehicles and piles of rubbish. There used to be an elderly woman living there. Who knows where she is now. Strange people come and go at night. Wish police or adult protective services would look into it.
Take a look at the place with google street view. What a dump! I feel bad for the neighbors. It is lucky the whole place didn't go up in flames.
Not a really great idea to put a grill on an area that has flammable stuff around it, even a deck in my opinion. I always put mine on concrete or cement, or if nothing else a green lawn.
The oddest things can happen where fire is concerned. You never know what is going to happen. I was cleaning out the garage on day and was interrupted in the middle of it -eventually distracted with to things. Walking by the area later I smelled smoke. Walked around and around and turned out a reflective piece of glass from something I had taken out of the garage and put in the sun had caught the sun just right and tracking a big burn spot across the bottom of a table nearby. The scorch was bad enough that it could have caught fire. Damndest thing I ever saw. Heard this can happen with bottles too or even vases of water of a certain shape.
Fire's a clever little devil, ya gotta be careful with it! ;-)
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?
- Barron Park
- Charleston Gardens
- Charleston Meadows
- College Terrace
- Community Center
- Crescent Park
- Downtown North
- Duveneck/St. Francis
- Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
- Esther Clark Park
- Evergreen Park
- Greater Miranda
- Green Acres
- Greendell/Walnut Grove
- Leland Manor/Garland Drive
- Meadow Park
- Monroe Park
- Old Palo Alto
- Palo Alto Hills
- Palo Alto Orchards
- Palo Verde
- South of Midtown
- St. Claire Gardens
- The Greenhouse
- Triple El
- University South
- Woodland Ave. area (East Palo Alto)
- Addison School
- Barron Park School
- Duveneck School
- Egan Middle School (Los Altos)
- El Carmelo School
- Escondido School
- Fairmeadow School
- Gunn High School
- Hoover School
- JLS Middle School
- Jordan Middle School
- Juana Briones School
- Nixon School
- Ohlone School
- Palo Alto High School
- Palo Verde School
- Santa Rita (Los Altos)
- Terman Middle School
- Walter Hays School
- another community
- Another Palo Alto neighborhood
- East Palo Alto
- Los Altos
- Los Altos Hills
- Menlo Park
- Mountain View
- Portola Valley
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
Grab a Bowl of Heaven soon in Mountain View
By Elena Kadvany | 0 comments | 2,802 views
Don't fund the rape culture at my alma mater
By Jessica T | 33 comments | 2,126 views
Quick Check List for UC Applications
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 0 comments | 1,920 views
Campaign Endorsements: Behind the Curtain
By Douglas Moran | 10 comments | 1,026 views
Mothers, daughters, books, and boxes
By Sally Torbey | 4 comments | 935 views
Home & Real Estate
Shop Palo Alto
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
Mountain View Voice
© 2014 Palo Alto Online
All rights reserved.