Town Square

Post a New Topic

Family escapes two-alarm house fire in East Palo Alto

Original post made on Jul 31, 2012

A 9-year-old boy who was playing fort in the garage of a family home in East Palo Alto Tuesday accidentally started a fire that gutted the house after he dropped a candle onto a mattress, Menlo Park fire officials said.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, July 31, 2012, 6:52 PM

Comments (9)

 +   Like this comment
Posted by Da'Shante
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jul 31, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Oh hello no! Again ? paloaltoline.com done way too many stories making us out to be fools. Are we going too take this treatmint?


Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963
- More quotations on: [Justice]


 +   Like this comment
Posted by JW
a resident of Mountain View
on Aug 1, 2012 at 8:37 am

No one's making you out to be an idiot. It was an accidental fire.
Of course, one must wonder why a boy was playing with such a dangerous trifecta: a tent, a mattress, and fire, while his mom slept, but kids will be kids and not always be aware of consequences.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Aug 1, 2012 at 10:35 am

Poor kid. Fifty years down the road, family will still be reminding him, "Hey, remember the time you burned down the house?" So fortunate that nobody was seriously hurt. Maybe the firemen left a good impression and the boy will find his calling in emergency services.

A well-written article; I could visualize the events unfolding. The sister, the mother, the baby, neighbors with garden hoses, the dog, the elderly disabled woman. All like right out of Central Casting.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Cid Young
a resident of another community
on Aug 1, 2012 at 10:52 am

I hope that the next door neighbor's family FIRES the A$$ of the home caregiver who left her disabled woman in the home during the blaze.
The Po-Po should investigate that incident!
DISGUSTING & UNBELIEVABLE!
like the captain of the Italian Cruise Ship that went down, leaving the ship while passengers were still on board!


 +   Like this comment
Posted by KP
a resident of South of Midtown
on Aug 1, 2012 at 11:07 am

@ Cid Young

I completely agree...that's the only part that I really focused on - what's up with THAT?!?!

..and about Da'Shante...you sound more like the idiot with your comment There was nothing in that article that made anyone in EPA sounds stupid. Kids will be kids - my daughter, at the age of 6, decided to put a knife in a socket and got the mess shocked out of her.
You can't predict what kids will do when you are not looking, but it shows how much we have to watch and teach our kids about the dangerous things AND people around us.


 +   Like this comment
Posted by me
a resident of another community
on Aug 2, 2012 at 6:50 am

Great job MPFD, PAFD, & Redwood City Fire!!! You guys were amazing!!!


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Felicia Ventura
a resident of another community
on Aug 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Thank you for the well wishes, I am the sister of the person who lost everything in the fire. She is a single parent and its going to take alot to get back on her feet. I want to also thank the families who brought out baby formula and diapers for my sister's 2 infants because everything helps. I an working on getting an account set up for her for donations and will keep everyone posted. Everyone is ok so far including Brutis and Cupcake. Please keep us in your prayers. If you are interested in helping out please email me at felicia.ventura@sbcglobal.net.

Tanks again,
Felicia


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Felicia Ventura
a resident of another community
on Aug 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Thank you for the well wishes, I am the sister of the person who lost everything in the fire. She is a single parent and its going to take alot to get back on her feet. I want to also thank the families who brought out baby formula and diapers for my sister's 2 infants because everything helps. I an working on getting an account set up for her for donations and will keep everyone posted. Everyone is ok so far including Brutis and Cupcake. Please keep us in your prayers. If you are interested in helping out please email me at felicia.ventura@sbcglobal.net.

Tanks again,
Felicia


 +   Like this comment
Posted by Felicia Ventura
a resident of Downtown North
on Aug 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Hi All,

As some of you may know, Tuesday, July 31, 2012 my sister Ishea Ventura and her children (Dominique 15, Precious 11, Jordan 9, Sanaa 1 and Mekayla 3 months) lost their home in a house fire. Not only did they lose their home but they also lost their car, so when I say they lost everything I mean they lost everything. I am reaching out to the community and my friends to see if I can get help for them in this time of need. They are accepting and very appreciative of any kind of donation, clothing, household items and of course money. She is a single parent on a fixed income. Obviously this has been a very tragic event for them, and they have an extremely challenging road ahead of them. Below is the link from paloalto.com about the fire.

Web Link

An account has been set up at:
Stanford Federal Credit Union
Relief Fund for Ventura Family Fire
14220434 (member number-please include this number when making donations)

Mail donations to:
P.O. Box 10690
Palo Alto, CA 94303-0843

Walk in locations:
525 University Ave. Suite 21 694 Pampas Lane
Palo Alto, CA 94301 Stanford, CA 94305


If you have any questions or need to contact me my phone number is 408.469.7516 or you can email me at felicia.ventura@sbcglobal.net

Thank you and God Bless
Felicia Ventura


Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.

Email:


Post a comment

Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online. Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information and opinion. All postings are subject to our TERMS OF USE, and may be deleted if deemed inappropriate by our staff.

We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.

Name: *

Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?

Comment: *

Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.

*Required Fields

Sneak peek: Bradley's Fine Diner in Menlo Park
By Elena Kadvany | 4 comments | 3,353 views

Marriage Underachievers
By Chandrama Anderson | 0 comments | 1,656 views

Politics: Empty appeals to "innovation"
By Douglas Moran | 13 comments | 1,609 views

A Surprise!
By Cheryl Bac | 0 comments | 1,542 views

It's Dog-O-Ween this Saturday!
By Cathy Kirkman | 2 comments | 829 views