Post a New Topic
Original post made
on Jul 18, 2012
This happened to a co-worker about 15 years ago--the heating element went crazy and melted dishware, maybe even the plastic tub of the appliance. The smoke damage was the problem--bad smell!
We no longer leave appliances running when we are not home.
What brand of dishwasher?
This same thing happened to my next door neighbor about fouryears ago. Her husband and son left early Sunday morning to play golf at Palo Alto Muni and she was awakened by the first alarm at 7:30. She went into her kitchen with smoke spewing out of the dishwasher. Here's the Weekly article. Web Link
I now make sure that I am nearby when I run the dishwasher.
It sounds like this woman was the homeowner, but I have a separate question for the legal folks-
If the same situation happened to a renter, would the renter be liable for the damage to the unit? In other words, is it considered negligence to leave an apartment with electrical appliances running?
Great Job PAFD!!!
The renter is not liable (I'm a former landlord). Unless you have specific requirements in the lease, there's no liability. Of course, who would sign a lease that says you can't leave the house or apartment when you're running the dishwasher?
This is why you have insurance. Plus the renter should have renter's insurance - which I required proof as part of the lease agreement.
I can't imagine a renter would be liable for running a dishwasher, I would think the owner would be liable for maintaining the dishwasher (and other appliances) in safe working order.
our bosch dishwasher is about 12 years old. it works fine but how would I find out when to replace it? any ideas?
I can't believe that anyone would leave the house with a dishwasher or washing machine running! Dryer, MAYBE, but something that has water in it that can leak onto the floor if something goes wrong? No way.
Most current dishwashers and washing machines shut off if they detect a water leak. As a result, I would feel safe leaving with those running. (My dishwasher also has not heating element for the drying cycle.) But I can't believe anyone would leave their house with a dryer running. There a quite a few dryer fires cause by dryer vents being clogged with lint and catching fire. That is more of a threat than water damage.
Stretch - it's funny - we're the total opposite. We'll leave sometimes w/washer running, but never dryer. Maybe we've just read about too many dryer fires? We have a moderately pricey coffeemaker catch fire when plugged in but turned off. It was scary - if we'd left on time, we wouldn't have been home when it happened.
I'm so glad that this reported incident wasn't much worse.
Never leave a dishwasher, washer, dryer, floor heater, electric blanket, iron, stove, oven on or running if nobody is home. I have been on fires all cause by these being left running or on.
Thank you, Firefighter. We need to follow your advice.
What about electric fans & ceiling fans?
Shutting everything off is ridiculous, what about laptops with batteries that catch fire, or virtually anything.
The same would follow if you were going to sleep as well.
Things can catch fire.
One day I smelled smoke ( I have a senstive sense of smell ) and I was walking around trying to figure out what it was or if I was hallucinating.
This is the oddest thing, turns out that I had a glass full of liquid that the sun was shining through and just happened to be focused on a piece of wood attached to the garage. It was black and smoldering and might or might not have actually caught fire, but weird stuff happens that cannot be avoided - one has to keep on living.
Don't miss out on the discussion!
Sign up to be notified of new comments on this topic.
Post a comment
Posting an item on Town Square is simple and requires no registration. Just complete this form and hit "submit" and your topic will appear online.
Please be respectful and truthful in your postings so Town Square will continue to be a thoughtful gathering place for sharing community information
We prefer that you use your real name, but you may use any "member" name you wish.
Select your neighborhood or school community: * Not sure?
- Barron Park
- Charleston Gardens
- Charleston Meadows
- College Terrace
- Community Center
- Crescent Park
- Downtown North
- Duveneck/St. Francis
- Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
- Esther Clark Park
- Evergreen Park
- Greater Miranda
- Green Acres
- Greendell/Walnut Grove
- Leland Manor/Garland Drive
- Meadow Park
- Monroe Park
- Old Palo Alto
- Palo Alto Hills
- Palo Alto Orchards
- Palo Verde
- South of Midtown
- St. Claire Gardens
- The Greenhouse
- Triple El
- University South
- Woodland Ave. area (East Palo Alto)
- Addison School
- Barron Park School
- Duveneck School
- Egan Middle School (Los Altos)
- El Carmelo School
- Escondido School
- Fairmeadow School
- Gunn High School
- Hoover School
- JLS Middle School
- Jordan Middle School
- Juana Briones School
- Nixon School
- Ohlone School
- Palo Alto High School
- Palo Verde School
- Santa Rita (Los Altos)
- Terman Middle School
- Walter Hays School
- another community
- Another Palo Alto neighborhood
- East Palo Alto
- Los Altos
- Los Altos Hills
- Menlo Park
- Mountain View
- Portola Valley
Verification code: *
Enter the verification code exactly as shown, using capital and lowercase letters, in the multi-colored box.
Teavana Palo Alto closes
By Elena Kadvany | 6 comments | 3,890 views
What Freshmen Should be Thinking About College
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 17 comments | 2,904 views
Sometimes the Rules Go Out the Window
By Cheryl Bac | 5 comments | 1,867 views
Clarifying the Process of Canonization
By Nick Taylor | 1 comment | 1,346 views
Waiting on the Edge of Death
By Chandrama Anderson | 6 comments | 1,306 views
Home & Real Estate
Shop Palo Alto
Send News Tips
Circulation & Delivery
Mountain View Voice
© 2015 Palo Alto Online
All rights reserved.