Posted by Rebuild America, a resident of Los Altos, on Jun 20, 2012 at 10:54 am
1. In the middle of recession, materials are cheap, labor is cheap, companies will bid to do the jobs at a far more competitive price than in boom times.
2. Bad roads are costly - lost productivity to American businesses, wear and tear on trucks, buses, cars and people.
3. When the economy comes back, we'll need to do the delayed maintenance anyway, at a higher cost.
4. Repairing the infrastructure, to compete in the 21st century world economy, has to be done, or we are accepting that America cannot compete and is now a third world nations.
5. Borrowing costs are at record lows for our federal government.
6. Repairing infrastructure creates good jobs, which lead to jobs in other sectors and increased tax revenues.
Therefore, it's time for the feds to step in and invest in jobs, revenue creation and investing in America's future.
It's past a political argument at this point; with congress stalling on job creation for 3 1/2 years, they can now turn on the switch without any penalty - that is, giving Obama a better economy. As pointed out elsewhere, any investment now will no longer help Obama politically, the jobs created won't show up until after the election.
Let's rebuild America.
I'm not sure my body can take anymore of these jarring pothole shocks, let alone my truck.