East Palo Alto officially approves tenants' rights ordinance

Original post made on May 8, 2014

Renters in East Palo Alto will receive more protections under an ordinance officially passed by the City Council this week.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, May 8, 2014, 8:10 AM

Posted by MJ
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 8, 2014 at 10:53 am

Does these tenants right apply only to the people renting apartments or does it include tenants renting homes?

Posted by Eva_PA
a resident of Ventura
on May 8, 2014 at 11:06 am

Eva_PA is a registered user.

It sounds like there have been shenanigans going on that would warrant these rules. These seem like basic tenant rights.

Posted by Raymond
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 8, 2014 at 11:28 am

One day after bogging that I can testify to the slow response to maintenance requests, a representative of Equity Residential called me and wanted to meet concerning maintenance problems where I live. One week later, I have had several issues in my apartment addressed. It only took 5 yrs and a pending lawsuit, brought by other tenants, to have these problems addressed. One of the problems I mentioned is termite damage to the roof. I have no doubt that my future holds a change of address while this problem is fixed, or the building gets condemned. BTW, I have complied with each rental increase, yearly, since I moved in. I work and do not subsidized rent. Nor is my citizenship a factor.

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 8, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Hmmm is a registered user.

Eva - shenanigans is a most excellent way to put it!

Raymond - I am really happy to hear that you suddenly are getting help. No surprise. Of course they've known about the termites, and have chosen not to do anything until it's perhaps too late. Please keep posting to let us know what is going on. Since the Rent Program is losing Carol Lamont, who knows how long it would take to get help?

Posted by Cid Young
on May 8, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Aren't most of these common sense protections already covered by US Fair Housing Act? (since 1968 - passed when Lyndon Johnson was President) Web Link)
outlawed:

1.) Refusal to sell or rent a dwelling to any person because of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
2.) Discrimination based on race, color, religion or national origin in the terms, conditions or privilege of the sale or rental of a dwelling.
3.)Advertising the sale or rental of a dwelling indicating preference of discrimination based on race, color, religion or national origin.
4.) Coercing, threatening, intimidating, or interfering with a person's enjoyment or exercise of housing rights based on discriminatory reasons or retaliating against a person or organization that aids or encourages the exercise or enjoyment of fair housing rights.

California has protections spelled out as well:
Web Link

Posted by really
a resident of East Palo Alto
on May 8, 2014 at 4:05 pm

I wish these protections would have been in place while I lived there I was evicted for not paying rent (that I had I always worked immigration is not a issue )with these people I had mold growing up my walls inside my apartment and rats inside my apartment that they would do nothing about my apartment was on top of the garage so the rats were coming up the wall from down stairs and so was the mold I get chills thinking about it now. luckily im in a better place free to breath fresh air and no rats.

Posted by Cid Young