Assessing the options when a parent is in decline

Original post made on Mar 7, 2014

An aging, widowed parent becomes cognitively impaired, and adult children, scattered around the country or the globe, ponder their options.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, March 7, 2014, 12:00 AM

Posted by Responsible Child
on Mar 9, 2014 at 11:10 am

After my mother died 10 years ago, I had to manage my feeble father's affairs, and still do even after his death in 2008.

The stress was overwhelming, and contributed to my getting divorced. My spouse, who is an MD, could help with the medical challenges I faced with my father, and was worthless emotionally for me, and what I was experiencing.

Posted by Nora Charles
a resident of Stanford
on Mar 11, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Nora Charles is a registered user.

Responsible Child,

I'm sorry to read what you went through. My mother (in another city) had a long, lingering decline, and died last year. It was emotionally draining and just sad beyond words. Now I worry about my elderly father. I can't imagine how hard it would be without supportive people in your life.

I applaud Paula Wolfson's work, and should probably find my way to her office!

Posted by Midtown daughter
on Mar 12, 2014 at 9:10 am

How I wish I knew about Paula when my father was still alive and living in Palo Alto. A sibling took over everything he owned and gave little to no assistance except to reside in the family home and spend as much of my fathers money including selling the home without allowing any family members to go through sentimental items. If we knew about Paula, maybe our family would have come together with her help and guidance. Now, we are a family divided. Those who hold onto our memories and love for one another while a sibling holds onto what cash she took that seemingly means more to her than relationships with her family. Such a shame. Rest in peace Mom and Dad.

Posted by jardins
on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:55 pm

I've noticed that the Avenidas senior housing conference--surely a very promising and important resource--will include a local realtor.

Does that mean conference attendees will have their names automatically put on the realtor's list of potential clients? Or is there a way to attend but also preserve one's privacy?

Posted by Paula Wolfson
on Mar 13, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I wish to thank the article author Chris Kenrick for doing such a great job providing coverage of the Palo Alto Senior community.

In reply to the question about the Avenidas Housing Conference;the session speakers do not have access to our participant list.

If you need further information regarding the programs available at Avenidas please call us at 650 289 5400.

Best wishes to all and thank you to the above bloggers for your kind words.

Posted by palo alto resident
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:33 pm

@jardins - the Realtor involved is Nancy Goldcamp, she is very good at helping seniors who wish to sell their homes and is not at all pushy. I believe she has been sponsoring this conference for quite a while.