Palo Alto psychologist convicted of tax evasion

Original post made on Feb 6, 2014

A federal jury has convicted a Palo Alto psychologist of five counts of tax evasion and one count of theft of government property, federal officials announced on Feb. 5.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, February 6, 2014, 12:17 PM

Posted by Creole 54, a resident of Midtown
on Feb 6, 2014 at 5:26 pm

The rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer. I bet you he doesn't spend a day in jail. The Federal Government and State of California will wiretap drug peddlers cell phones and purchase a small amount of drugs - the accuser gets "Life in Prison or close to it."

White Collar Crime vs Street Crime what a huge difference.

[Portion removed.]

Posted by afluenza, a resident of Downtown North
on Feb 6, 2014 at 5:56 pm

At least he didn't try the afluenza defense (an alleged mental illness that prevents rich people from understanding right from wrong).

Posted by sarah, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Feb 7, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Is this really fair? I'm sure a lot of folks have tax problems and issues, I don't think it's the general public's business. But that's just me maybe.

Posted by musical, a resident of Palo Verde
on Feb 7, 2014 at 5:12 pm

Your health insurance dollars at work.

Don't ask me how I really feel.

Posted by Poor richies, a resident of Fairmeadow
on Feb 7, 2014 at 8:17 pm

The worst that will happen is Club Fed. Chances are he will walk away scot-free.

Posted by Looser hater, a resident of Mayfield
on Feb 8, 2014 at 1:54 am

Think he will loose his license to practice now? He MUST have some type of attitude which could pass onto his clients...who come in for HELP.

Posted by One of Many, a resident of Barron Park
on Jul 19, 2014 at 8:24 pm

What Dr. Baras did was wrong, yes, but it was done out of desperation. Do any of you have any idea who this man is or how many people he has helped? More often not, entirely pro bono. He doesn't charge for phone conversations or any little extras, he's not a watch clinger and he's the farthest you could get from being stingy with time. I'm sure it's obvious so I'll admit, yes, I've seen Dr. Baras as a patient. His stubborn determination to not give up on me when everyone else absolutely saved my life. Above and beyond, that's two words that describe everything about this genuinely good person. To those crying "poor richies", oh, and the fantastically ironic "looser hater", you do not know this man at all. He's no stranger to strife, just like every other person on earth, but I suspect he's had more than a fair share and come out of to do what? Selflessly help people, like me and you. Out of respect for this man, you ought to think before simply spouting out impulsive, cookie-cutter talk that adds nothing to the discussion and breaks down into a useless (and baseless) smearfest of this man's reputation. In answer to "looser hater"s question, I would go in for a session tomorrow. I'd continue to refer him to friends. I hope the staff monitors will be extra careful in removing disrespectful and denigratory comments.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Palo Alto quietly gets new evening food truck market

On Tour - The Highly Selective Liberal Arts Colleges: Occidental, Pitzer, and Scripps
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 1 comment | 1,747 views

See Me. Hear Me. Donít Fix Me.

Foothills Park: a world away