Why was "Explosion" topic closed?

Original post made by Nora Charles, Stanford, on Jan 29, 2014

Palo Alto Online,

This story contains 83 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Posted by Let's exaggerate
a resident of Downtown North
on Jan 29, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Nora- too much discussion and exchange of ideas and opinions to satisfy the weekly staff. Remember if people are freely and openly discussing an issue they may reach conclusions thatbthe weekly staff does not want them to reach. Then they may realize that they do not need the weekly to tell them how to look at issues and how to vote. Then people would realize that they do not need the weekly and the weekly could then shut down.

Posted by Resident
on Jan 29, 2014 at 4:44 pm

Perhaps one of the comments was a bit too close to the truth.

It could have been Area 51 taking control, the FBI, CIA, Homeland Security, who knows!

Posted by Hutch 7.62
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Can we say Cover up. Maybe Eric Holder is up to his shenanigans again

Posted by Hmmm
a resident of East Palo Alto
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Hmmm is a registered user.

Okay, I wasn't really suspicious before they shut down that thread, but I am now! Why would they? If there're comments they don't want, just delete them.

Posted by The tea party did it
a resident of College Terrace
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:33 pm

What shenanigans are you talking about, hutch. This was clearly a large firecracker that went off. No cover ups, Area 51 , NSA, though rumor has it that john boehner was seen running from campus right before the explosion was heard and he had several bags of tea In his hand.

Posted by that photo
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:38 pm

It mades sense to me. They did not want us to find out the real source of the explosion.

Web Link

Posted by The tea party did it
a resident of College Terrace
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:52 pm

That photo-- I think you have solved it. As to the other thread, I agree that there was too much discussion going on and that is always worrisome to those that think they control the citizens in the city

Posted by stephen levy
a resident of University South
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:56 pm

stephen levy is a registered user.

Nora,

Did you learn anything here that helped you understand the explosion? Let's see if anyone actually has information that is helpful to you . If not perhaps you will understand why the editors thought this would not be a productive thread.

Posted by The tea party did it
a resident of College Terrace
on Jan 29, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Stephen-- do all threads need to be " productive"? What is the definition of a "productive" thread. Why shouldn't Nora believe the police version of the incident?

Posted by Stanford resident
a resident of Stanford
on Jan 29, 2014 at 9:00 pm

It seems odd to close it too. Who cares if it's productive? It's just some harmless community speculation mixed in with some odd conspiracy theories. Feels just like my family :)

I saw it, just like others did. Someone will jump on here and see we are all the same person but I don't care, I'm still up for hearing anyone else's story. It probably doesn't matter but it *was* weird and I'm curious.

Posted by Nora Charles
a resident of Stanford
on Jan 29, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Stephen,

I haven't learned anything yet. No immediate neighbors heard it, but it is an early to bed neighborhood. There were some silly comments on the thread, but I enjoy reading the speculation, as well as the accounts of the posters (Tommy was one) who said they saw an explosion.

I don't NOT believe the police (I love the Stanford and P.A. police!), but the accounts just seemed to point to something else, and the noise I (and Mr. Charles) heard was extraordinarily loud. Like Stanford resident, I'm curious. (But I do know about curiosity and the cat!)

Posted by earthfiles.com
a resident of Southgate
on Jan 30, 2014 at 4:39 pm

coast to coast a.m. radio ''910'' loud boom reports linda moulton howe. 10 p.m. radio ''910'' a.m.-

Posted by vvvv
a resident of Meadow Park
on Jan 30, 2014 at 4:41 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Nora Charles
a resident of Stanford
on Jan 30, 2014 at 11:14 pm

Stephen,

Okay, I think I now get your point about productivity....

Posted by stephen levy
a resident of University South
on Jan 31, 2014 at 6:26 am

stephen levy is a registered user.

Thanks Nora.

It is sad that posters who have nothing to share that is helpful choose to clutter Town Square with negativity and drivel.

Posted by Former Prof
on Jan 31, 2014 at 9:14 am

All the years I worked at Stanford, there were hazardous material spills approximately six times a year on Campus Dr alone.

I have no doubt that this small explosion originated in the chem lab.

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Jan 31, 2014 at 10:12 am

Though I did not hear anything from my location on University Avenue at the time, my curiosity was piqued by the accounts of others. It's understandable to expect a better assessment from authorities than calling it a simple firework. On the other hand, too much publicity or too accurate an explanation might encourage copy-cats.

In the absence of a sound-meter, loudness is subjective, especially in the middle of the night and by persons not familiar with the high end of the scale. Some people claim to be awakened by jet traffic over Palo Alto, yet many nearby residents apparently slept right through this explosion. The report from a shotgun, 50-caliber rifle or M-80 will get attention, but is the product of a small fraction of an ounce of black powder.

Posted by Big Bang Theories
a resident of College Terrace
on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:14 am

Well, in all my 60 years on this planet, I've never heard anything like it. (Note: never been in combat.)

I was sitting in my living room when I heard and FELT an explosion. I've heard my fair share of car accidents, and knew this was not one. Witnessing many a Stanford fireworks evening, I also knew this could not be the cause of such a blast! Simply never heard anything like it.....

But it was the "longitudinal pressure wave" accompanying the blast, that really had me spring to my feet and bolt out the door!
Once out the door I saw several neighbors just as startled as I and equally as mystified.

The mere fact that so many people who experienced this blast found it so unusual is, in itself, worthy of attention and not cause for shutting down a conversation.

We are left with only personal accounts and interpretation precisely because the blast was so unusual! If it was 'usual', our many accounts would have quickly converged and put the story to rest.

Posted by Big Bang Theories
a resident of College Terrace
on Jan 31, 2014 at 11:27 am

In other words:
The mere fact that so many people found this blast unusual, startling , and worrisome is news worthy.... and deserves a conversation thread.

Posted by be scared
a resident of South of Midtown
on Jan 31, 2014 at 4:22 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Long Time Resident
on Feb 20, 2014 at 8:44 pm

I am in Old Palo Alto. Did anyone hear another explosion this evening at 8:41 pm (2/20/2014)? Just wondering.

Posted by Stanford Resident
a resident of Stanford
on Feb 20, 2014 at 8:56 pm

@Long Time Resident; I heard it quite well on the Stanford Campus, and it shook the windows of the apartment. I don't know if this happens all the time and I don't hear it, or if it's just a recent coincidence

Posted by JGT
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Feb 20, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Bright light with the explosion. Very scary for my kid's and I.

Posted by Craig Laughton
a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 21, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I heard it...seemed to over near the Stanford campus. My wife heard it, too, but she said it was not nearly as powerful as the previous explosion. It seemed to me like a very loud cherry bomb, but it did not rattle our windows, this time.

Posted by S
a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 21, 2014 at 2:18 pm

I heard the explosion last night too. Sounded like it came from the same area, just not as strong. Of course the police found nothing! Surprise surprise!

Posted by Aquamarine
a resident of Stanford
on Feb 21, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I heard it while I was heading toward campus. I had my radio on in the car, but the window partially down. It was hard to tell what it was, but it wasn't from the car radio.

Posted by Craig Laughton
a resident of College Terrace
on Feb 21, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Could be that the two explosions were just college boys' major pranks at Stanford. If so, it was over the top. Stanford, and local police are unlikely to take it seriously, unless pressured to do so. I suggest that the FBI take a look at it. It could be a test run for something much more serious, like the Boston bombing.