I want toilet opinions!

Original post made by homeowner on Jan 24, 2014

My old toilet has started to leak. I need a new one and I've learned that there are rebates available. You can get $125 if you buy a 1.06 gallon per flush toilet, or $50 if you buy a 1.28 gpf one.

My question is if these very low gpf toilets really do the job, if you get my drift. Does anyone own one of these and would care to weigh in on how you like them?

Thanks!

Posted by toilet snob, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 26, 2014 at 11:22 pm

No really. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, as they say. Just buy a Toto. Get the bottom of the line if you're feeling cheap. Just spend the extra money. I never thought I would wax poetic about a toilet! We have 2 Toto's now.

They are low flow, reliable, beautiful -- and best of all -- they are coated with some kind of special glaze that keeps them from needing the bowl to be cleaned very often! The bowl stays clean just from being flushed for a really long time. When the bowl needs to be cleaned, it's very easy. If you are the one who cleans the toilets in the family, you will think it is worth every penny!

There are many models, and the high end ones can get ridiculous. But the bottom of the line is competitive with comparable Kohler's. Talk to plumbers, you will not be sorry.

Posted by Marie, a resident of Midtown
on Jan 27, 2014 at 1:14 am

Marie is a registered user.

I also love my Toto. It has the yin yang buttons on top for lesser and greater flushes. Works great, qualified for the $125 rebate and is easy to clean.

Posted by Crescent Park Dad, a resident of Crescent Park
on Jan 27, 2014 at 5:39 am

2x on getting advice from your most trusted plumber. Do not with the least expensive model from Home Depot!!!

We installed Toto with our recent remodel. Purchased via Plumbing and Things in Redwood City. Nice showroom as well. They give very good professional discounts as well.

Posted by David, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 28, 2014 at 11:34 am

The 1 gpf toilets from Home Depot are quality fixtures. I have installed 3 in the last 6 months and have no issues or clogs. Why spend hundreds more for a Toto when you only crap in it.

Posted by palo alto parent, a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Jan 28, 2014 at 11:39 am

Toto hands down (we have a couple other kinds too - the Toto never backs up). I think that you are only supposed to install the lower water version per current building codes.

Posted by DO NOT BUY TOTO, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 28, 2014 at 1:18 pm

If you buy a Toto, maybe only the BASIC model (the other ones do NOT work well!) BUT it is not necessary to buy the Toto brand any more than you need to buy a name brand purse.

We upgraded 2/3 bathrooms, and the old toilet is better than the Toto brand. It's a Kohler, I guess also a name brand but not as fancy as Toto.

Posted by uunnnnnnngh!, a resident of another community
on Jan 28, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I've seen Toto's dispatch some super amazing turds in my time. A bottomless outhouse might give a Toto a run for its money.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.