Palo Alto man wakens, scares off home burglar Monday

Original post made on Jan 23, 2014

A burglar rummaging through a Palo Alto house at about 11:30 a.m. Jan. 20 fled after he walked into a bedroom and discovered he had awakened a sleeping resident, police are reporting.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, January 23, 2014, 8:09 PM

Posted by ChrisC, a resident of College Terrace
on Jan 23, 2014 at 11:27 pm

ChrisC is a registered user.

Where?

Posted by muscial, a resident of Palo Verde
on Jan 24, 2014 at 1:52 am

Where what? This incident, story says 900 block of El Cajon Way, which is other side of Louis Road between Embarcadero and Oregon.

Posted by Wow, a resident of Palo Alto Orchards
on Jan 24, 2014 at 9:19 am

That burglar had some Cajons.

Posted by Enough!, a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Jan 24, 2014 at 11:00 am

Glad nobody was hurt.

Posted by Linda, a resident of another community
on Jan 24, 2014 at 11:14 am

I am paying for an alarm system after my home was ransacked 2 years ago. The criminal that entered my home jumped the fence in the day time while I was at work. I had a locked gate. They broke a double-paned, locked window to gain entry.
They opened all drawers in the house and took mostly just gold jewelry. (I did not have any fancy electronics.) If I open my front door there is a locked metal security screen which makes me feel safer.

My point is that you can lock all your doors and windows and that will not stop someone who decides that your belongings are what they want. Best wishes to the couple that was targeted. Your sadness and anger and horror will lessen eventually. I am so sorry that you had to experience that.

Posted by Scared, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 24, 2014 at 12:23 pm

There are so many burglaries, it's scary. Though I plan to follow the police's advice, I agree with Linda's comment that precautions alone are not enough. Our police force needs to catch these criminals.

Posted by I'm scared, too, a resident of Woodside
on Jan 24, 2014 at 1:47 pm

My house was robbed last year. It happened around 10am when I left for an hour and a half. The police officer told me that there is very little down side for these types of criminals (the ones that just opportunistically rob a house with an open window, not the ones that rob people at gunpoint). She seemed to imply that if they get caught, it's basically a slap on the wrist and they're out. I'm not sure if this is true, but it does seem to be happening a lot more lately.

Posted by Mimi, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Jan 24, 2014 at 5:16 pm

OMG..this is not okay. I just wonder if one of the other roommates somehow knew the "burglar." This can't continue to happen in Palo Alto. What happened to the idea of setting up street video surveillance?

Posted by Madeline, a resident of Fairmeadow
on Jan 24, 2014 at 5:33 pm

From what I know these are high school kids mostly from East Palo Alto and Menlo Park whose parents work two jobs....my understanding is that if caught the intruders get punishment and mandatory family counseling. My niece volunteered at one of the non profits that worked with the police department. Apparently, these not bad grade students, and do this out of "boredom." At least these burglaries aren't as brazen as the ones in Fremont...where you have felons under the influence and armed ...entering home..in home invasion style robberies.

Posted by Watchdog, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Jan 26, 2014 at 9:55 am

It helps to have a dog that barks also. We have ADT and dogs to protect our home, and hope those serve as deterrents.

Posted by Grammar Girl, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 26, 2014 at 12:18 pm

@I'm scared too: The correct word for this incident is "burglarized", not "robbed".

Robbery involves taking something valuable and using force, or the threat of force, to do so.

Burglary is also known as breaking and entering. It occurs when a person gains unauthorized access into a home, business, or other structure to commit a crime. The crime that he means to commit is not always theft. Also, the amount of force needed to get into the building does not have to be extraordinary to constitute burglary, and it can even consist of picking a lot or simply walking in.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.