New 4 way stop on Loma Verde near El Carmelo School

Original post made by Resident on Jan 22, 2014

A new stop sign has appeared on Loma Verde near El Carmelo school without any warning. As someone who regularly uses this street, to suddenly find a stop sign where there never used to be one, it is hard to get used to. I have always stopped, but each time it takes me by surprise and probably will do until I get used to it.

Can they just put up a stop sign without either a visible warning sign "new stop sign ahead" or at least announcing it in the local paper?

BTW, I have nothing against the stop sign, just its sudden appearance and wonder if there had been any public discussion or announcement.

Posted by Mom, a resident of Duveneck School
on Jan 22, 2014 at 2:57 pm

They installed new stop signs on Channing at the side entrance to Duveneck with no notice. If the driver is paying attention, why do they need a warning that there is a new stop sign?

Posted by Heather Ln resident, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Jan 22, 2014 at 8:13 pm

On a related note, I live on Heather Lane and got up today to find a series of large bright white bicycle symbols and sharrows (those arrow things) up and down the surface of this fairly short street - I think 12 in all? - without notice. It's overkill.
This is a narrow LANE, with cars parked on both sides of the street and little kids walking on the narrow sidewalks with rolled curbs down to the charming school at the end of the street (Duveneck Elementary). There is a fair amount of auto traffic, but cars often must pull to the side to let a car on the other side get by as the street is so narrow.
IF it has now been made suddenly into a "bike route" (?) and the bike symbols mean that (?), then this is unwise, because it is unsuited. Nearby Channing Avenue and certain other streets like Newell seem much wider, better suited for labeled bike routes. We don't have bike lanes here.
IF this is not the case, and someone from the city just decided one day to place these symbols here, then I think it is visual clutter, unnecessary on a narrow street (if you are riding a bike in this street you would know to be looking out since it IS narrow, and if you are driving you must be on the look out for other traffic/cyclists/pedestrians anyway), and a waste of our taxpayer dollars and some staff peoples' time. Maybe they do have too much time on their hands if they plan out things like this and send crews out to paint these things.

Posted by parent, a resident of Midtown
on Jan 22, 2014 at 8:24 pm

This is a 25mph street in a residential area next to an elementary school. You should be in maximum attention mode already, so noticing the stop sign should not be an issue for any competent driver.

Posted by Mom, a resident of Duveneck School
on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I, too noticed the bicycle symbols on Heather Ln. today but didn't give it a thought. There's nothing in the DMV rulebook that defines them, if I recall correctly. It's not a bike lane, so what is it? Completely ineffective, worthless graffiti. Duveneck Elementary's attendance boundary stretches to Oregon Expressway but most kids do not bike from that end - I drive my kids and see only a couple of kids riding their bikes.

Posted by parent, a resident of Midtown
on Jan 23, 2014 at 8:46 am

Those bicycle arrows tell bicyclists that the safest place to ride their bicycles is where the arrows are. Ride down the center of the arrows; keeping to the right just confuses car drivers. The symbols also tell car drivers to expect bicyclists to be on that part of the street.

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 23, 2014 at 9:24 am

I don't agree that stop signs should suddenly appear or any other type of road change without warning. A simple temporary sign should not be a problem.

Driving around I often see signs saying "new road layout ahead" or "altered signal sequence" on lights. Even when there is a flagman ahead, there is a warning sign. Why is it not the same with a new stop sign?

Of course we should all be prepared for the unexpected when driving, but the sudden appearance of a stop sign on a familiar route seems like asking for driver confusion. Change always takes time to get used to and any method of making that change easier seems to make sense to me.

Posted by Mom, a resident of Duveneck School
on Jan 23, 2014 at 11:15 am

Wow, direct the kids to ride in the middle of the road when speeding cars might not see them? Nice job, Einstein.

Posted by Heather Ln resident, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Jan 23, 2014 at 12:32 pm

not to distract from the main point of the thread, but back to the Heather Ln large, white new biking road-markings: I haven't been on all the various similarly-sized streets around here since seeing our markings yesterday morning, but I am wondering: why THIS street? Are the city officials planning to place such distracting markings on other such lanes?!
I have noticed extra wide striped crossing markings at some street intersections in various neighborhoods of the city, but what I describe is clutter within the street itself, not at an intersection. I just can't figure it out.

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 23, 2014 at 12:40 pm

I often rode Colorado on my bike when there was a bike lane. They have now taken out the bike lane and put in these markings instead. It is now much too dangerous to ride so I ride other streets instead. Bring back the bike lane on Colorado, please.

On a separate note, some of the striped intersection crosswalks are now crumbling away. Whatever substance has been used is not very durable.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.