PAUSD's track record for returning calls?

Original post made by MidtownMom on Jan 14, 2014

I am trying to reach PAUSD (Office of attendance). My multiple attempts to call the number listed on the website have been routed to a voice mail. Frustrated that I couldn't reach a live person, I finally gave in and left them a voice mail .. I was assured that the call would be returned in a certain period of time. I also sent an email.

Its been one week (one full working week) and there is no sign of the call being returned or my email being returned ..

What is the track record of PAUSD responding to calls and/or emails? Do I need to take time off from work and actually end up going to their office? My concern is that if I go to their office there may be no one there to actually help (hence I would waste my time off from work anyways)

Posted by paly parent, a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:51 am

@MidtownMom - There always seems to be staff in the attendance office at the District and I have found them to be polite and helpful. A call to your student's school office secretary might be just as helpful, depending on the issue.

Posted by Mom, a resident of Meadow Park
on Jan 14, 2014 at 12:49 pm

If you need to talk to district attendance you have to just go there in person. They will never call you back. If it's important you just go there. Don't go at lunch they won't be there. Good luck with that. Another symptom of the zero accountability culture of PAUSD.

Posted by Information please, a resident of Community Center
on Jan 14, 2014 at 1:21 pm

Hey Tabitha, this one seems like one you can actually answer.

Posted by Mom2, a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:25 pm

[Post removed.]

Posted by Stay positive, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 14, 2014 at 6:23 pm

[Portion removed.] Stop calling PAUSD, all resources are dedicated to hammering out a brand new, hyper-complicated bullying policy. And lay off Tabitha Hurley, jeez, she's written some very important press releases, because that's what this district needs. Check the PAUSD web site! While you are there, check out the agenda for tonight's board meeting: nothing about bullying, lack of transparency, or accountability.

Posted by Wow, Don't Be Lazy!, a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Jan 14, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Registration for Fall 2014 began today (1/14). They are surely busy in the attendance office due to people knocking down their doors to get into our school district (to those who whine at this statement, remember, you may leave PAUSD at anytime - count your blessings instead). Prior to registration, they are probably swamped too. There are people in the office and I've called the attendance office during other months and they do answer the phone or emails.

People visiting the office are priority over phone calls. Anyone who knows anything about customer service knows that. I suggest the original poster visit the office in person. Long line? Life could be worse.

Posted by MidtownMom, a resident of Midtown
on Jan 15, 2014 at 5:40 am

@Wow .. I hope you do realize that getting over to PAUSD during their work hours could mean taking time off "work" for many people? Quite a few jobs do not have the luxury of running down for 20 minutes to get the work done. Lines are no deterrent ..

Not expecting them to return the call immediately. But, expecting them to return the phone call in one to two business days. There needs to be some accountability .. and I totally agree with the other posters, this is total lack of accountability and transparency on PAUDS's part. Don't get me wrong, I love what PAUSD has to offer to my children and I am quite aware that I pay an arm and a leg to get those privileges for my kids. Like any other organization, PAUSD administration needs to be accountable to the "share holders" (property tax payers) who basically pay their salaries.

And yes, I got the information needed by calling the middle school / high school offices. The front offices were very helpful.. unlike the district offices.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.