East Palo Alto: Man accidentally shoots himself in head

Original post made on Jan 1, 2014

An East Palo Alto man apparently shot himself in the head while intoxicated on New Year's Eve, a police sergeant said.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, January 1, 2014, 11:27 AM

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Jan 1, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Can't help awarding this guy a Darwin prize.

But on a more serious note, we have to see the flaws in gun ownership with stories like this. How many innocent people are going to be killed or injured because of supposed legally owned guns?

I really cannot think that there is a such a thing as responsible gun ownership. Guns are designed to maim and usually do and often to some innocent family member. Remember Oscar Pistorius!

Posted by anti-gang unit , a resident of Midtown
on Jan 1, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Perhaps this was the idiot shooting up in the air.

Posted by eddielo, a resident of another community
on Jan 1, 2014 at 6:57 pm

eddielo is a registered user.

"I really cannot think that there is a such a thing as responsible gun ownership."
Are you serious? Really? So of the millions and millions of gun owners, you think that every one is an irresponsible gun owner?
But I guess even if I showed how stupid a statement that is you still would not be convinced.
So why bother.

Posted by JustMe, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:10 am

JustMe is a registered user.

Responsible gun ownership:
1) It should be illegal to purchase a firearm until you have completed a gun safety class similar to the NRA hunter safety course. We have driving classes, and young drivers are required to take them, right? This would be a good filter on gun ownership, and it makes sense to me.
2) It should be illegal to purchase a firearm for someone who has not taken that safety class.
3) It should become illegal to own a gun if you have not taken that class.

The class sound cover simple things that some people just don't seem to get, like keeping loaded and unprotected firearms away from children, not playing with them like toys, avoiding handling firearms while intoxicated, not shooting yourself in the head, stuff like that. I am fine with gun ownership by people who treat them with respect, and I feel a simple class on ownership would be at least a minimal filter. I agree it would not completely solve the problem, but it might save a few lives.

It does strike me that the people who suffer the most from irresponsible ownership are the irresponsible owners themselves.

Posted by eddielo, a resident of another community
on Jan 2, 2014 at 1:02 pm

eddielo is a registered user.

JustMe, all three do NOT apply to criminals. They don't care about gun rules. They don't care about registration of guns, they don't care about gun safety and training. All they're interested in is having a gun to commit a crime. Why don't we simply eliminate the criminals? [Portion removed.]

Posted by JustMe, a resident of Duveneck/St. Francis
on Jan 3, 2014 at 11:40 am

JustMe is a registered user.

Please excuse me, but I was not trying to address the issue of guns in the hands of criminals. That is a separate issue. I was talking about trying to keep guns out of the hands of people who don't know any better than to shoot themselves or their loved ones while playing with their toys, or at least to educate them to try to prevent such tragedies.

I did not think this thread had anything to do with criminals possessing guns, was I wrong?

Posted by Bru, a resident of Crescent Park
on Jan 6, 2014 at 12:54 am

Bru is a registered user.

Why does every single gun-related story have to degenerate into one of these argumentative bicker matches?

This is what happens when fools get ahold of guns ... so maybe we can all just be thankful that he shot himself and not some role model honor student who happened to be walking through the neighborhood minding their own business.

This is not really about criminals or responsible gun owners and there is nothing to say about either group based on this idiots sad unfortunate mistake.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?