Open address to Ken Dauber PLEASE, reconsider forming a Shadow PAUSD Board.

Original post made by village fool, another community, on Dec 17, 2013

Dear Mr. Dauber,

I addressed you back in March calling on you to form a PAUSD Shadow Board Web Link.
To be clear, by "Shadow Board" I mean an external, unofficial committee which will review and monitor the official school board's activities and input from the public. (Shadow Cabinet – Web Link).

I am writing to you now, asking you to reconsider my appeal. I'll try to explain my rationale for asking you again. All that I wrote in my March Address still applies.

I addressed you in March when many community members assumed that some kind of investigation committee would be formed to look into the PAUSD issues. I wrote my March Address assuming that such a committee was not about to be formed. That is really water under the bridge.

My March Address was the result of my wish to see an outside "check" (as in checks and balances), my wish to see attention to moral and ethical issues that may impact all the children. My desire is to enable clarity and accountability vs. the apparent ongoing cover up actions.

Obviously, I could not foresee any of the events that presented themselves afterwards. I'll just mention a few things that have since come to light: info about secret meetings to check the feasibility of challenging the OCR's jurisdiction, keeping a new investigation out of the public eye, having committee discussions in violation of the Brown Act, etc., etc., etc.

A Shadow Board is a very unusual suggestion. I think that at this point in time, when so many seem to have lost trust in the leadership, there is really nothing to lose. I am suggesting to form a Shadow Board comprised of members that you respect and trust. Several names were mentioned back in March. I do realize that should the community respond to your call to come forward with info about incidents, implementing all I suggested in March is a full time job. I am thinking that the board might investigate few test cases and bring visibility by listing the rest. I think that community members who support your cause will be willing to volunteer to handle the administrative issues that such an operation calls for. Looking back, Eileen 1, for example, comes to mind. I do not know her.

I think that if community members respond to your call as the leader of such Shadow PAUSD Board, and come forward, trusting you and your board's judgment, trusting you and your board to keep the children's details private, some patterns may become clear.

I think that a clear statement is called for. A statement that does not define policies without looking into reality. A statement that all children are important. A statement of real interest in – What is going on here????

I hope you will consider my appeal

village fool

(I posted the above on my blog - Web Link)

Posted by Great Idea
a resident of Palo Verde
on Dec 19, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Can this really be done? If Mr. Dauber cannot become the shadow,how can we elect someone else. I think this will bring positive changes in our education system that at this time is out of control

Posted by village fool
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:29 pm

@Great Idea - Thank you for noticing this tucked away thread.
As to your question - I "borrowed" this idea from other governments. It is about a "Check", as in Checks and Balances. That is a position that traditionally is filled by the Opposition, the losing party. That was the reason I addressed Mr. Dauber who ran for a PAUSD Board position. In any cAse, there are no defined rules as to how this can be done here.

I do hope that Mr. Dauber will consider my appeal.

Posted by Parent
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I believe a majority of Palo Alto voters made it rather clear in the last Board elections that they don't want Mr Dauber running our schools. I doubt that they have changed their minds. We just don't want education in our district watered down.

Posted by Great Idea
a resident of Palo Verde
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:11 pm

To Parent,
Voters made it clear, but remember that Mr. Dauber was not that far from winning, and that was when Skelly had all the skelletons in the closet. He did not mention the OCR investigation results, even though he already know that they were found guilty of not protecting the disabled child. Hiding the true from voters lead them to believe that there was no problem on PAUSD under his kindgom, and that is why they voted for the same board members, including one who always brag about being against bullying, but poor voters little they knew what he was hiding, and that the new board member was not going to move a finger when the bullying incident came out. Now things are different, now we know how skelly and his partners in crime work. they cover each other's and pat themselves on the back while our wonderful education system is falling down in pieces. Today is a different time, than when Mr. Dauber was running for a seat at the board. I am wonder what other skelletons does Skelly has hidden in his closets. Hope he leaves before we get to know.
Yes, go for it Mr. Dauber! I support you. Who wants to go and protest outside the school district. I am for it. it is time for all the people who failed the disabled child to accept their failures and leave.

Posted by Badly Needed
a resident of Jordan Middle School
on Dec 21, 2013 at 2:28 pm

A Shadow Board of some kind is needed just to monitor the Board of Education. The BOE has a secret agenda of some sort, and is very exclusionary when it comes to parents, and often, teachers. This is just plain wrong--parents and teachers AND the school board need to communicate to do what is best for the education of the kids, not for what is best for Kevin Skelly and/or the school board.

Kevin Skelly needs some sort of checks and balances system to keep him honest, as well, and to prevent him from causing any more damage until his contract expires. His PR lady performs damage control, but damage PREVENTION is needed immediately...at least until someone who has been well vetted can be brought in to replace him.

How in the world did a reputable school,district like PAUSD get such a bad superintendent, anyway? The BOE hired him, obviously did not check him out first-- that is just one important thing that a Shadow Board is needed for!

Posted by stick to sniping from the side
on Dec 21, 2013 at 2:56 pm

"I voted for Ken Dauber, and it seems that a lot of,people who,did NOT are now wishing they had."
This has not been my experience. All the people I've me who did vote Ken Dauber are now thankful that we dodged that bullet.

Posted by parent is full of it
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Dec 21, 2013 at 5:06 pm

@parent -- I respectfully disagree. I believe that what is watering down the district is wasting time, money, attention, and resources on things like civil rights investigations into why the district did not do enough to prevent and remediate the bullying of disabled children, why the district's policies do not meet the minimum legally required, why we have RAPE CULTURE in our high school, and why our compliance officer cannot get us into compliance. Everything just listed out is deadweight loss and also an absolute disgrace and embarrassment.

What is watering down education is paying money and attention to all this stuff that is not education. that is due to the fact that we have a board of inept hens. We need a board with some leaders. Dauber is a leader. All this stuff about watering down is just nonsense. [Portion removed.]

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Local picks on 2015 Michelin Bib Gourmand list

WUE makes out-of-state tuition more affordable
By John Raftrey and Lori McCormick | 2 comments | 2,730 views

Ode to Brussels Sprout

Go Giants! Next Stop: World Series!
By Chandrama Anderson | 1 comment | 1,760 views

In Defense of "Incivility"