High Tech bike safety

Original post made by Occasional Cyclist, Palo Verde, on Dec 6, 2013

Here's a great article about high tech gadgetry for keeping cyclists safe.

Web Link

But since so many cyclists do not use regular lights, will these types of lights be used here? We rarely see cyclists in reflective vests and they would help safety too. These types of innovation and safety measures should be mandatory in a community that prides itself on its number of cyclists.

Posted by Aiya
on Dec 6, 2013 at 8:58 am

The best way to keep safe at night is simply not to ride after dark. A rider would simply have to have HUMONGOUS flashing lights all over their body and bike to be safe, and that is not practicable or practical. If we had daylight savings' time all year long that might help somewhat.

All three of the times I was hit by cars have been in broad daylight, between 10:00 am and 4:00 pm. I think that in Palo Alto it is never safe to bikeride, because so many drivers here are scofflaws.

In the Netherlands! bikes have their own lane and it is divided from cars and other pedestrians by a berm. If a driver hits a bikerider THERE, it is life in prison!

As long as I have to live here, though, I will no longer bikeride....that last accident was one too many for me.

Posted by come on
on Dec 6, 2013 at 9:40 am

Telling bicyclists not to ride after dark is extremely selfish. How are they supposed to get home from work during the winter? Many bicyclists are even riding to work in the dark. Car drivers need to pay more attention during the winter. Turn the cell phone off and save a life.

Yes, wider bike lanes will add to safety, but NIMBYs are often strongly opposed to those and NIMBYs rule in this city.

Posted by Occasionaly Cyclist
a resident of Palo Verde
on Dec 7, 2013 at 9:01 am

I strongly suggest that at this holiday giving season, we take a look at some of the basic bike safety gadgets available and buy them as gifts for the cyclists among us.

Lights, reflective vests, bicycle bells, etc. are all worthwhile gifts which may save lives as well as helmets as they prevent the accident in the first place. Helmets are designed to protect in an accident but we need to realize that we should be preventing the accident to begin with.

While we are at it, pedestrians at night could also do with lights and vests to make them more visible in the dark.

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Dec 7, 2013 at 9:23 am

And pedestrians should wear helmets for when those accidents do occur.

Posted by parent
on Dec 7, 2013 at 10:12 am

With so many more pedestrians and bicyclists on our streets these days, why doesn't the city just make the street lights brighter? Years ago, there might have been an argument for saving money by dimming the lights, but the new LED lights are so much more efficient that the cost savings are not worth the increase in car vs pedestrian crashes. Asking pedestrians to wear lighted jackets is just silly.

Posted by Former rider
on Dec 8, 2013 at 11:19 am

I saw a bikerider last night who had multi-colored flashing lights all over himself, his bike( including the wheels), even his helmet.
He must have had a thousand dollars'worth of lights on--but he was visible.

Too many times I have nearly hit riders in the dark on dark bicycles! wearing dark sweats! And having no lighting of any kind on themselves or their bike--absolutely stupid!

Palo Alto streets are also some of the worst-lit in the nation. Bicycle riders must help by taking the proper precautions and using common sense. Bright, loud, obnoxious gear in the daylight help. Wearing white clothing and lots of lighting after dark are a necessity!

But PA. Drivers are a hazard: running stopsigns, speeding on city streets, texting while driving, running stoplights, making illegal left turns......THEY are the real reason I no longer bikeride. I have been hit and injured twice, and have a knee replacement to show for it--both times while riding home from work at Stanford in broad daylight!

Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Dec 8, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I really do not understand all the furor here.

I drive all the time and with cyclists on the road ... have never come close even once to hitting one. If people just drive carefully and keep their eyes open I don't think they will get many surprises.

As a bicyclist, which I do less of, I also am extremely careful and don't think I have ever not been seen because usually I wait where I am until I am sure any prospective car on a collision course sees me too.

The one time I was blindsided and bugged was about a decade or so back when some daring girl used to go rollerblading in and out of traffic in Mountain View. After a while I never did see her again. Not sure if that was because she got smarter or got dead? I assume she grew us since I never read or heard of anyone getting hit while rollerblading in traffic.

Seriously, traffic is not that bad if you just assume everything that can go wrong will go wrong and think about it before you get out in that traffic. It really shouldn't matter to any of us that we have the right of way if we end up hurt or dead because of it.