No ice for this ice cream

Original post made on Dec 3, 2013

Yet another ice cream shop in Palo Alto? It's a crowded field, but it would be wrong to dismiss Scoop Microcreamery, a small-batch, mom-and-pop ice cream shop that opened on University Avenue in late September.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, November 26, 2013, 2:49 PM

Posted by Jack
a resident of Professorville
on Dec 3, 2013 at 11:39 am

It's good to see the ice cream business thriving again in Palo Alto, kind of like an updated version of 1985, when several providers of the prior generation were quite popular: Peninsula Creamery, Haagen-Dazs (who used to be in "Scoop's" location), Swenson's, Baskin-Robbins, Bud's, and more, not to mention walk-in places like University Creamery. It's hard to believe that the combination of frozen yogurt and blended juice drinks, along with new attitudes about healthy diets, knocked ice cream "out" as a significant feature of downtown PA for many years! Make mine with extra nitro! :)

Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Dec 6, 2013 at 12:25 am

The best ice cream in Palo Alto - by far - is Gelato Classico on Emerson across from the Aquarius theater. It's been open since the early 80's ... that's like 30+ years ... and they always have people in there because the ice cream is great. No gimmicks, just really good quality ice cream.

I was kind of bummed when 31 Flavors left its University location, but their product had already started to get cheaper ingredients and higher prices ... does anyone remember the little creed that B&R used to hang up in their stores about not using second rate ingredients? Well, I do. And their stores all used to have a water dispenser ... and now they took them all out. Sure is nice to know our corporate business people are looking after improving our lives so competently.

I went into this new place and looked at some of the ice cream, and there was some kind of liquid at the bottom of it in bucket. I could not even take a sample of it it looked so creepy. They people there did not know what it was ... I suppose it was melted ice cream or something. That was the first time I think I've ever left an ice cream store without getting something.

Posted by No smiles
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Dec 6, 2013 at 7:49 am

Cpa, just went to that gelato place a few days ago with my kids. Yes, the gelato there is always good, but the two people working there that night could really use a lesson in customer service. I don't think either one of them cracked a smile the entire time we were there, and they were dealing with little kids, which made it that much stranger.

Posted by Brit
a resident of Palo Verde
on Dec 6, 2013 at 7:55 am

Does anyone know where the best soft serve ice cream can be found in Palo Alto. With a Cadbury Flake bar (available from Piazzas) it should be possible to make a great British 99 ice cream cone, something I miss terribly in hot weather.Web Link

Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Dec 7, 2013 at 9:50 am

> No smiles

LOL ,,, you are right about Gelato Classico. For some reason they have hired the grumpiest most surly old man who cashiers for the store in the evenings. I went there with my girlfriend less than a week ago and asked for a taste of some new flavors, and he barely dipped the little spoon in a quarter way and he was rude to boot. When I go during the day it's never like that, and when the owner is there everything is cool. Still the best ice cream in Palo Alto, maybe anywhere else as well - and not only good, but consistent for 30 years or however long it's been open. For me I just do not eat that much ice cream anymore except on special occasions being mostly a vegan eater.

> Brit

If you want soft serve if that is what I think it is, you have to settle for frozen yogurt anymore. They used to have Foster's Freeze where they had software ice cream that was dunked in a chocolate liquid that would harden into a shell but I think they are all gone now. Too bad.

Posted by OPar
on Dec 7, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Baskin-Robbins in Midtown has soft-serve ice cream. Vanilla only, but perfectly nice as soft serve goes.

Posted by Hate the Location
on Dec 8, 2013 at 11:25 am

I think the new store has okay ice cream, but hate the location. The product is not worth going downtown for. gelato Classico is great, just do not go there on weeknights when the grouch is working.

Rick's on Charleston and Middlefield is good, and they had soft-serve the last time I was there. They also have fat-free froyo.

Posted by Brit
a resident of Palo Verde
on Dec 8, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Baskin Robbins, I will give it a try when the weather turns hot.

Rick's soft serve is nothing like ice cream.

Just longing for a 99 with monkey blood!Web Link

Posted by OK for no smiles
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Dec 8, 2013 at 2:41 pm

"No smiles" requires that people smile at her children. He wasn't rude or unkind, he just didn't pretend. [Portion removed.]

Posted by Desi Jean
a resident of Atherton
on Dec 14, 2013 at 5:03 pm

We finally got to try Scoop this afternoon and it was superb. I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the liquid nitrogen but ice cream was super dense and the flavors very vibrant. Gingerbread flavor tasted like there was fresh ginger grated into it. I'm not crazy about the decor though. It still looks like the old Haagen Dazs. It's definitely a nice addition to the food scene in downtown PA.