Clifford Nass, Stanford communication professor, dies at 55

Original post made on Nov 6, 2013

Clifford I. Nass, a communication professor at Stanford University known for his research on technology and multitasking, died Nov. 2 at Stanford Sierra Camp near South Lake Tahoe, collapsing at the end of a hike.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, November 6, 2013, 8:40 AM

Posted by Justin Kitch
on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:30 am

Cliff Nass was an amazing, enthusiastic and challenging teacher... the only class my wife and I ever took together at Stanford, and one that changed our perspective on the world. We still reference it twenty years later. A great loss to intellectually curious and socially concerned citizens of the world. Luckily we have his immense body of work to remember him by and build upon.

Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Nov 6, 2013 at 10:14 am

Very sorry to hear this ... this guy was very bright and way too young.

> Nass and two other Stanford researchers found that people who are regularly immersed in multiple streams of electronic information -- texting on a phone, watching a video, checking email and the like -- do not pay attention, control their memory or switch from one task to another as well as those who focus on one item at a time.

Well, that is true of computers too. A processor doing one thing can do it more efficiently than it if has to stop, save what it's doing, load another job, do that for a while and repeat over and over, especially with more frequent interruptions. The difference is while processors will slow down, people will make mistakes. People are not machines ... hope we can remember that by remembering this man's work.

Posted by John Donald
a resident of Menlo Park
on Nov 6, 2013 at 11:20 am

Clifford Nass was my favorite Stanford professor. Very sad to hear this.

Posted by agreatman
on Nov 7, 2013 at 3:46 pm

He will be deeply missed by all the students he had helped, he was a great man who took in so many students from local schools to host their summer activities.

Posted by Misha
on Nov 7, 2013 at 9:31 pm

Cliff Nass was a wonderful man and a loving father who treated my own son, a good friend of Matt's, with such warmth. Much sympathy to Matt.

Please let us know of the memorial plans so we may pay our respects.

Posted by A New Yorker
on Nov 7, 2013 at 9:39 pm

I only "know" this man through his photo and obit: one of the kindest faces I have ever seen. Sympathy to his son.

Posted by We hardly knew him
on Nov 8, 2013 at 8:30 am

My husband, at Mr Nass' request, gave a lecture to his classes a few years ago. Unlike most geniuses, he was a truly kind and caring individual.

What a loss to Stanford and the world! Deepest condolences to his family.

Posted by Jenny or Carol Li
a resident of Downtown North
on Nov 8, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I cried hard!
I was a babysitter for his son Matthew when he was a baby about 6 month old. This was about 20 years ago in Stanford.
I have not seen Cliff and Matthew for almost 20 years now.
This is so sad he is gone??
He always had big smile in his face with big love to Matthew whenever he picked up Matthew from me
My husband and I will miss him!
How is Matthew?
Rest In Peace!

Posted by Pat
on Nov 9, 2013 at 8:29 am

I adored Cliff and will mourn his loss. Thinking of him always warms my heart and makes me smile.