Extending a ladder for workers on the bottom rung

Original post made on Oct 18, 2013

A midcareer "failure" for a Palo Alto woman sparked a new trajectory that's helping local housekeepers, gardeners, waiters and home health aides to go to community college.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, October 18, 2013, 12:00 AM

Posted by Joanne
a resident of Evergreen Park
on Oct 19, 2013 at 9:21 pm

Over the past few years, I've seen the impact the scholarships have had on the adult school graduates. It's really great to know that my contributions are helping local people use education to move ahead. To find out more about the Sequoia Adult School Scholars Foundation, visit their website at SASSFoundation.net

Posted by Garrett
on Oct 21, 2013 at 9:58 am

This article shows you most property who are low income are willing to improve their skills which will change their lives. It must be hard for people to chose rent, food or gas for car but spending fees for schools and book is dream.

Dreams come true and thank you for helping.

Posted by Tom
on Oct 21, 2013 at 12:00 pm

For several years I've participated in a Stanford volunteer program called Beyond the Farm. The last couple of years I've helped pack children's books to go to school libraries in Africa. Reading the article about the outstanding efforts of Elizabeth Weal, I'm wondering if there might be something Beyond the Farm could do to assist. Since my only connection to the program is as a volunteer, I certainly can't commit anything on their behalf, and it is just a once-a-year effort, so perhaps it wouldn't work. But if Elizabeth or someone associated with Sequoia Adult School Scholars wants to contact them, their published email address is Beyondthefarm@stanford.edu.

Posted by Michelle'sGrandPair
a resident of Community Center
on Oct 21, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Getting a college degree does not guaranty success. My granddaughter, [portion removed] graduated UCSD with a double major, biology and history. It took her 5 years to complete and she didn't even have to work... school was her "work." She graduated in 2010 from UCSD. Since then she has been BUMMING AROUND and telling her parents that she wants to attend medical school. She is KILLING TIME by babysitting and taking junior college courses for the past 3 years! Yes! Obviously she hasn't gotten an AA/AS degree or certificate... Just killing time. This kid is still living at home in San Jose with her parents. I don't see why any medical school would want to accept her since there are Stanford grads who graduate magna cum laude, some within 3 years, work or volunteer and contribute to the community. Sad to say my granddaughter hasn't got what it takes to become a doctor. She wants to make a lot of money that is the only reason she desires to become a doctor. I think she is just a dreamer. I doubt my son will ever kick her out. She needs to start her own life. She's never had a boyfriend at 26 years of age. Anyway, college doesn't necessarily guaranty success in life.

Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Oct 21, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Hey Michelle'sGrandPair, maybe all these details about someone else's life should not be made public, why don't you talk about your own life or keep it anonymous? That's just plain nasty ... glad your not related to me.

Posted by fossiol
a resident of Portola Valley
on Oct 22, 2013 at 11:15 am

@Michelle'sGrandPair, I don't want to say your granddaughter is a loser. She sounds like a slacker though. You are right that a college degree does not always ensure success. Also, does she pay food, rent or gas? I presume your son gave her a car. If not she is well on her way to becoming a freeloader. Your son won't evict her because he would probably miss her too much.

Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Oct 22, 2013 at 12:07 pm

Who knows what kind of confidence issues, motivational issues, trauma or mental problems that girl might have. Perhaps there are things that happened to her that she didn't tell her gramps with the lousy judgement who might have broadcast it all over the country. I really cannot hardly believe a grandfather who would post his granddaughter's name on the internet calling her names and berating her ... that explains a lot to me. If it was in fact her grandfather and not someone who might have been harassing her. [Portion removed.]

Posted by Bru
on Oct 23, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Bru is a registered user.

[Post removed.]

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Sneak peek: Bradley's Fine Diner in Menlo Park

Marriage Underachievers

Politics: Empty appeals to "innovation"

Best High Dives to Watch the Game

It's Dog-O-Ween this Saturday!
By Cathy Kirkman | 2 comments | 872 views