Emergency Alert for Pancake Breakfast?

Original post made by Pomegranate, Another Palo Alto neighborhood, on Oct 11, 2013

Why is the Emergency Alert system being used to promote a PAFD pancake breakfast?

I got a text and a phone call with the promotional announcement.

Not cool PAFD! Save the Alert SCC system for REAL EMERGENCIES ONLY!

Posted by Palo Parent
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Oct 11, 2013 at 10:05 am

Maybe them pancakes are really, really good?

Posted by Resident
on Oct 11, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I was at a meeting when this occurred and several phones rang. I opened mine thinking it was an emergency.

If this continues, we will start ignoring the messages and like the boy who called wolf, we won't know when there is a real emergency.

Posted by anonymous
on Oct 11, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I agree, I don't think this is the appropriate use of this emergency alert function. Keep it for "real" alerts to PA residents and workers who have signed up for that.

Posted by Otho
on Oct 11, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Yes, it was alarming and inappropriate. I am surprised there is not a mandatory large fine for such a fraudulent use of the emergency system!

Posted by KPIX5
on Oct 15, 2013 at 11:35 am

Does anyone have photo of the message on their phone?? Please email it to us @NewsDesk@KPIX.com

Thank you!

Posted by Two cents
a resident of Adobe-Meadows
on Oct 15, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I agree this was a ridiculous use of the system. I work nights and was woken up by the message. I deleted my account.

Dear KPIX: According to the SCC Alert website, one can dial 1-877-737-5291 from the number called to replay the message. I tried but it did not play. Hopefully another resident will have better luck and can send it to you. The call came from 650-329-2498 at 9:00am on 10/11. Contact Charlie Cullen with the City of Palo Alto and ask him to send you a copy of this "emergency message." He is in charge of it. Thanks for doing a story on it.

Posted by Neighbor
a resident of Embarcadero Oaks/Leland
on Oct 15, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I know this will be unpopular, but I liked getting the notice about the emergency pancake breakfast made by firemen.

Posted by Not an issue
a resident of Community Center
on Oct 15, 2013 at 5:54 pm

How come the weekly isn't doing a story on this? Oh, wait, I know.

Posted by Resident
on Oct 15, 2013 at 9:30 pm

I agree, at least 3 local tv stations are carrying this story. It seems very strange that the Weekly is not reporting.