Program for disabled parking moves ahead

Original post made on Oct 10, 2013

Proposals to solve Palo Alto's notorious parking problems always cause a stir. So even after the Planning and Transportation Commission signed off on Wednesday on the latest parking program, which would allow disabled residents without garage parking to apply for designated on-street parking spots next to their homes, it did so only after an emotional debate and by a razor-thin margin.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, October 9, 2013, 10:52 PM

Posted by Dismiss Alcheck from PTC
a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 10, 2013 at 1:34 am

Alcheck's comments are insensitive and offensive. That he is willing to publicly express such disregard for residents with permanent disabilities is reason alone for the Council to dismiss him from the Planning Commission. This is not acceptable behavior of a public official representing Palo Alto.

"The "irony" of the commission talking about this policy while Downtown North residents are counting parked cars to get a better grip on the parking problem in their congested neighborhood is "offensive," Alcheck said."

I would venture to guess that the permanently disabled residents with no parking at their homes would be happy to walk in the shoes of Downtown North residents and walk the block or two, if able.

Posted by resident
on Oct 10, 2013 at 8:11 am

This just illustrates the enormous damage which City policies have done
and how difficult it is to even deal with it. We should not be in this mess. Wreckless City policies have ruined this City.

Beneath the physical destruction,ugliness,congestion is the social and human toll in terms of affecting peoples lives, their stress levels in
confronting and coping with the impacts to their neighborhoods and their
own residences. People had certain expectations about their City government
and the City pulled the rug out from under them. It's like the Federal
government threatening default. Here "default" happened.

Posted by 35 year resident
on Oct 10, 2013 at 11:01 am

This may be a viable solution for legitimately handicapped people without garages or driveways, however it will open the door to abuse. This idea was put into place many years ago on Park Blvd. near El Camino Real (without a fee attached). The woman owner of the home called the city twice daily and badgered them until she got a handicapped spot designation in front of her house, which had a lengthy driveway and a one car garage, neither of which was used for a vehicle. She parked her vehicle in front of the house and just let it sit there.

She was seen daily walking her dog through the neighborhood and along El Camino Real showing no obvious signs of disability. When she passed away, the city promptly removed the handicap sign and and painted over the blue curb.

There needs to be some verification process to prevent the abuse of the program.

Posted by Mark
a resident of Palo Verde
on Oct 10, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I haven't always been disabled: in fact I even climbed Mount Shasta once and singed my name in the geological survey box at the very top--I always parked in the parking spot furtherest from the store and walked because I enjoyed it and thought it was good for me--this all prior to a horrific spinal chord injury which left me with a terrible limp, chronic disabilitating invisible pain, and extreme once agin invisible fatigue--for the rest of my life.

If I lived in an area where I couldn't park right in front of my house I don't if could get by-realistically--for very long. I have to haul bags of food into the house from the car for one thing. I use a wagon now. If I couldn't park in front of my own house, that method of geting groceries into the house wouldn't be practical. I couldn't feed my kids like that --that is simply a reality. I really feel for others in my world because there are those (like myself prior to becoming like I am) who simply don't have the depth of empathy to allow for aids like a special designated spot to park in front of their own home to a select few of us whose lives really suck as compared to those who by simply being born with a normal body or who haven't (yet?) been the victim of a tragedy that strips away the normality 99% of the population enjoys but doesn't really fully appreciate.

I hope these poor soles are allowed the simple privilege of being able to park their vehicle in front of their own home. Although, I don't agree with the fact that a disabled person who can't walk, carry groceries, etc. should have to pay for the right to park their own vehicle in front of their own abode, domicile,home etc.

It just seems civilized to me to allow these people whe can this simple comfort.

Posted by anony
a resident of Downtown North
on Oct 10, 2013 at 1:49 pm

I wonder how many people in professorville will come down with disabilities? Isn't alcoholism now considered a disability?

And I think it's ridiculous for Jaime Rodriguez to become emotional arguing for such a thing. He's on the staff and should try to remain neutral. His parents don't even live in Palo Alto! So what do they have to do with this? Instead of working on parking, Rodriguez should go back to his area of expertise -- screwing up streets like Arastradero Road.

Posted by Mzmiranda
a resident of Menlo Park
on Oct 10, 2013 at 1:54 pm

This whole thing makes me want to move away somewhere else. And I've lived here all my life. The fact that we can't park on the street in front of our house here in Menlo Park is ridiculous and mean spirited.

And as a person with a disabled placard. I have a hard time parking in downtown Palo Alto, too.

Posted by Anonymous
on Oct 10, 2013 at 2:37 pm

San Francisco has more disabled parking placards than metered parking spaces. I predict a run on disabled parking placards after this vote.

Posted by Retired Staffer
on Oct 11, 2013 at 12:09 am

My grandfather was given a reserved parking place right in front of his apartment building in Paterson, NJ. The year was 1919. It was his place exclusively with a sign that gave his name and the fact that he had lost his leg in WWI. There was no dispute or dissent. He died in 1993 and only then was his space returned to the public domain. If Palo Alto would just stick to the parking requirements of its own planning code things would be much easier.

Posted by former downtown worker
on Oct 11, 2013 at 1:11 am

I used to park in the area discussed in this article. The thing that got me was that the resident that put cones in front of their house and a note on my car when I moved them didn't feel the disabled parking spot *just across the street* would work for them. Next time I parked there after moving the cones, I filmed the woman coming out checking on me and my car. They left my car alone.

Another time, the homeowner came back after I'd moved the trash cans from the street to behind my car so they'd still be serviced. He threw a can at my car as I drove off. It there was any damage, the police would have been involved.

There's not talking to some of the downtown homeowners. They feel they deserve preferential treatment since they own property downtown. Yet, they don't contribute directly to Palo Alto's tax base. The sales tax of businesses like Whole Foods or any of the service oriented businesses do. Having a solution for their workers is important if you want to keep these businesses in downtown.

This program will give homeowners who need disabled parking (with placard) in front of their homes the option of paying to have it.

Posted by Resident
on Oct 11, 2013 at 7:51 am

I think that these spots should only be granted in cases where there is no offstreet parking. If they have a driveway then they should not have them.

I am not against disabled parking, but generally speaking there is often plenty of disabled parking available when there is no regular parking. There is also plenty of anecdotal and news reports showing that these spots are abused.

Posted by AllYouCanEat
a resident of Professorville
on Oct 11, 2013 at 8:00 am

I have already made an appointment to get my handicap card.

Palo Alto... You Rock!