Malibu Grand Prix and Castle Closing

Original post made by Roger, College Terrace, on Aug 15, 2013

I read today in the Mercury News that the Malibu Grand Prix and Castle in Redwood City is closing forever on Sunday. I and my family have spent many happy occasions there over the years. With its closing, the Peninsula is losing yet another kid and family oriented venue for safe fun. I am glad to have had this place for my kids to enjoy but I feel sorry for future families as this loss adds to others, such as the closing of the Palo Alto Bowl, which decrease the recreational opportunities for our kids and make this area even more sterile and boring.

Posted by Resident
on Aug 15, 2013 at 9:54 am

Yes, this is very sad, it was mentioned on the news one evening this week.

My kids are finding it much harder to find youth friendly activities in this area. The Bowling Alley, the ice rink in San Mateo (I know we have our own here) have both gone and now they will no longer be able to do mini golf or the race cars.

How sad.

Posted by parent
a resident of Downtown North
on Aug 15, 2013 at 10:33 am

Our kids never got into bowling or motor sports. We go hiking and mountain biking in the Palo Alto hills and baylands.

Posted by Luxembourgeois
a resident of Professorville
on Aug 15, 2013 at 1:16 pm

It really is a shame, I went there a lot in the nineties, but lately the place is empty, even on weekends.

Fortunately, there are a lot of other outdoor things to do on the Peninsula.

Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Aug 15, 2013 at 2:43 pm

There are indoor racing cars, and I think there is a miniature golf place off El Camino way South of here.

I can't believe that ever since they built that place I've meant to go there and never have!

Posted by Paly Alum
a resident of Palo Alto High School
on Aug 15, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Sorry to see it go, as I grew up with it there. But miniature golfing is kind of passť. There's so much more available for kids these days.

If you have young kids (12 and under) who enjoy arcade games, I recommend the Chuck E. Cheese in Cupertino. Very clean and fun games, never really busy, plus, if you don't have enough tix for a prize, you can pay for the prize instead of wasting more money trying for more tickets.

Also, there is a large pinball place in Alameda (although a 45 minute drive): Web Link

Anyone remember when Marine World was in Redwood City?

Posted by musical
a resident of Palo Verde
on Aug 15, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Marine World, 1968-1986. In 20 years we'll ask whether anyone remembers Great America in Santa Clara.

Posted by Resident
on Aug 15, 2013 at 4:44 pm

We have had and attended many happy birthday parties at Malibu over the years. My teens still go play golf on occasions with friends and the evening deal on the race cars for those with drivers licenses was good value and very popular.

Regardless of what some are saying, there are those who still enjoy this type of fun. Other outdoor activities such as hiking are not the sort of things teens like to do when hanging out. It is a shame that teens are losing some of their hangout places.

Posted by Robert
a resident of Menlo Park
on Sep 14, 2013 at 8:34 am

This is truly messed up. I met Neil Young there.
Being so close to the birthplace of video games, this really shows this country's priorities, and where we are headed.
I predict eventually after I'm gone, the USA will be a 3rd world country. If you are intelligent enough to see the signs, you would agree.