Death on Alma, Friday afternoon

Original post made by CLB, Menlo Park, on Mar 25, 2013

I was biking home via Alma, north of downtown, at around 3:45 PM on Friday afternoon. Traffic was backed up due to some emergency vehicles parked on the southbound side. I saw a body lying on the ground under a tarp.

I didn't stick around and gawk but I am disturbed not to have read anything about it in the paper. Was it a traffic accident? Was it one of the homeless people who camp out in that area? I would like to know what happened and am curious about why it has gone unreported.

Posted by Eric Van Susteren
online editor of Palo Alto Online
on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:55 am

Eric Van Susteren is a registered user.

Hi CLB,

Police called the incident on Alma Street and Hawthorne on Friday afternoon an unattended death. It was not the result of a traffic accident. I'll update you if police release more information.

Posted by Disturbing
a resident of Downtown North
on Mar 25, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Does this mean that the person simply died on the spot where he/she was found? Whether from illness, heart attack, or foul play?

Posted by Kristy Frey
a resident of University South
on Mar 28, 2013 at 11:59 am

I too am bothered that this has not been addressed. Was it that homeless man who lived in his white truck that passed away? It is a bit un-nerving to be driving through your neighborhood and see a large blue tarp with a body under it and the coroner walking across the street.

Posted by Aquamarine
a resident of Stanford
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:09 pm

It's not any business of the public if there are privacy laws that apply. Once again, that Palo Alto sense of entitlement is at work.

Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Mar 28, 2013 at 2:49 pm

> It's not any business of the public if there are privacy laws that apply.

Who says, the laws are not always correct or moral, why you do have to insult the whole city over some imagined sense of entitlement that does not even exist? If someone dies in a public place I don't know why there should be any law to protect the name or it should be called a sense or entitlement because people want to know what happened and to whom?

Posted by Aquamarine
a resident of Stanford
on Mar 28, 2013 at 3:09 pm

It's that sense of entitlement that causes people to think that they deserve to know everything that happens in an area they deem to be theirs. It's ridiculous. Of course privacy laws are correct and moral, as they should be. Personal privacy often trumps that nosy neighbor's desire to know what doesn't even effect them. Just because YOU don't know why a law should be in place doesn't mean that the law isn't relevant. You also don't know if the person died in public or not. You just want to know what you want to know when you want to know it. Sorry, the world doesn't always work that way, even in Palo Alto.

Posted by Holly
a resident of College Terrace
on Apr 20, 2013 at 8:34 pm

The man who past away was my boyfriend who lived in the white truck with me and my dog. I left to visit a friend when he past. His name was James Wimsatt.

Posted by CrescentParkAnon.
on Apr 20, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Thank you for letting us know that Holly. I am sorry for your loss.

Posted by Marie
a resident of Greenmeadow
on Apr 21, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. Can I help you with a meal or anything? Take you out for a coffee or Tea and rest at the baylands? My heart is with you. It's hard to lose someone you love.

Posted by John