Shop Talk: Piazza's adds 4000 square feet

Original post made on Mar 23, 2013

A sigh of relief has swept over Piazza's Fine Food at 3922 Middlefield Road in Palo Alto's Charleston Shopping Center. The nearly $2 million, year-long expansion has finally come to an end.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Saturday, March 23, 2013, 1:59 PM

Posted by Disorganized, a resident of Midtown
on Mar 23, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Very happy about the Container Store. They have a lot of cool stuff there, and it will be nice not to have to go all the way to Santana Row to get it.

Posted by resident, a resident of Green Acres
on Mar 23, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I just learned about the passing of John PIazza, Sr, from a neighbor. He was so incredibly supportive of our schools and community - belated but heartfelt condolences to the family. He was truly a pillar of our community.

Posted by Norman, a resident of Menlo Park
on Mar 23, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Piazza's is the kind of store that Draeger's and Andronico's would like to be.

Posted by Piazzas fan, a resident of Barron Park
on Mar 24, 2013 at 8:18 am

I've been impressed by how well Piazza's staff has reached out to help direct their shoppers to needed items as we adjust to the new organization. LOVE the new meat and cheese area, and the traffic flow around breads is much improved.

Posted by Not an issue, a resident of Community Center
on Mar 24, 2013 at 8:22 am

Hopefully the new Safeway at San Antonio center, together with the Safeway in menlo park will put pressure on the plao alto stores to offer larger and more varied selections. Trying to grocery shop in palo alto is a joke

Posted by Dorothy G., a resident of Charleston Gardens
on Mar 24, 2013 at 8:26 am

I love the new Piazza's. Better lighting and bigger selection and always good customer service. I think that when a family owns a store, its' better all the way around.

Posted by shopper, a resident of Midtown
on Mar 24, 2013 at 8:30 am

I agree that the produce selection at our local supermarkets is awful. I find myself driving to Sunnyvale or Cupertino most of the time.

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Palo Alto neighborhood
on Mar 24, 2013 at 8:50 am

Love the new Piazzas.

I have not enjoyed my shopping experiences over the past few months as walking round and round and having to ask so many times has made the ordeal difficult for customers, but the staff have been wonderful and patient during this time. I have stood by them and continued shopping because I am supporting what they have done and it isn't the easiest for any of us.

Now that it is finished, it is wonderful. I love the new cheese and meat sections. I am now looking forward to getting to find my way around the shelves and seeing them fully stocked once again.

Piazza's is by far the best of the boutique grocery stores around - but I am still looking forward to a decent sized store carrying all the national brands at a decent price. Piazzas does a great job but their selection of staples is not as wide as I would like to see.

Posted by Back in the day, a resident of Old Palo Alto
on Mar 24, 2013 at 12:06 pm

Back when I used to shop at Safeway, I actually detested grocery shopping. Since I have shopped at Piazza's, and gotten to know the staff--and they me, I love grocery shopping. I don't dread it anymore. I love the wine department and the great variety there. It's very inviting. The cheese dept rocks...you can get a sample of anything you would like to try, and the people running it are so knowledgeable. My only complaint would be that they need to expand on the staples, such as toothpaste, floss, etc. then I would rarely have to go anywhere else for anything.

We have been especially thankful for the man directing everyone to what they were trying to find during the construction and rearranging. That certainly took a lot of the stress out of it.

Posted by Sue, a resident of South of Midtown
on Mar 24, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Speaking of grocery stores, just went to Miki's today to see closing signs up all over the store. Everything is 30% off so get over there if you want to get some good deals on groceries.

I'm extremely disappointed that the store is closing seeing that it's two blocks from my house. I guess their prices were just a little too high to keep customers around. They've only been open for barely 6 months. That's a whole lot of investment lost.

Posted by Norman, a resident of Menlo Park
on Mar 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm

RE: Sue. Location, location, location. I didn't even have to go in to know they made a big mistake especially with Piazza's only five minutes away.

Posted by YSK, a resident of Community Center
on Apr 5, 2013 at 9:35 pm

And, the prices of Piazza's went up.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.